Can I trade in my phone for credit towards a new one?
jordanmcgregor01

If so, can I keep my current number when I switch over to the new phone? And are there any fees? Like activation fee or something like that. If so, will that be covered by the credit I got from my old phone

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I trade in my phone for credit towards a new one?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You CAN "trade in" the iPhone 6 (sounds like you own it outright) but you are not likely to get much, if anything, from Verizon, as the phones need to be in near pristine condition to get any trade in value.  The fact that it was purchased on eBay, and not from Verizon may affect the value Verizon (or any carrier, for that matter) will give you also. 

Go back to eBay, or swappa, and you'll get more money for the phone, which you can put towards the purchase of a new phone.  You may also consider keeping it as a backup, spare phone, just in case.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you on a post paid or a pre paid plan?  You are more likely to get better value (ie, more money) for the phone by selling it yourself on eBay or swappa or privately to a friend. 

Is the phone paid off entirely?  On a contract?  Device payment plan?

Yes, you can keep the same number; there may be fees depending on your plan and situation, so more info is needed to give you a better answer.

jordanmcgregor01

The phone (iPhone 6 16gb) was originally bought unlocked off ebay and then on my family's AT&T plan. Then later on we switched to Verizon recently although I do not know what plan we are on, I was able to keep my number and same phone while the rest of my family got new phones as their previous phone could not "see" the Verizon network or something like that.

P.S. I have been on my aunt's plan this entire time both while with at&t then when we switched to Verizon

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You CAN "trade in" the iPhone 6 (sounds like you own it outright) but you are not likely to get much, if anything, from Verizon, as the phones need to be in near pristine condition to get any trade in value.  The fact that it was purchased on eBay, and not from Verizon may affect the value Verizon (or any carrier, for that matter) will give you also. 

Go back to eBay, or swappa, and you'll get more money for the phone, which you can put towards the purchase of a new phone.  You may also consider keeping it as a backup, spare phone, just in case.

0 Likes