Can I still keep my unlimited data plan if I upgrade??
SanF415

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I still keep my unlimited data plan if I upgrade??
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No ...this change was effective the end of June 2012.  To keep your unlimited data, you'll have to pay full retail price for your phone or buy it from somewhere like ebay (anywhere that doesn't require you to sign a new two-year contract).  If you have another line on your account that can be upgraded, you could upgrade it and then move the phone to your line.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No ...this change was effective the end of June 2012.  To keep your unlimited data, you'll have to pay full retail price for your phone or buy it from somewhere like ebay (anywhere that doesn't require you to sign a new two-year contract).  If you have another line on your account that can be upgraded, you could upgrade it and then move the phone to your line.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you upgrade at the subsidized two year contract price, you CAN'T keep the unlimited data plan.  You can choose the individual tiered data plan or switch to the Share Everything plans.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SanF415

ohhh... Paying a phone at its full retail price seems to be very pricey. Always wanted to buy the Note 2, but paying $700 for it is just insane......

0 Likes
fester30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not necessarily true.  I have a friend with an unlimited plan.  He still had a couple months left on his contract.  He added a line to his account, which kept the unlimited plan.  Then he got a cheap flip phone for 15 bucks on craigslist, and put that phone on the line with a couple months left, keeping it at 5 bucks a month.  In two months, he'll cancel the line that hits the two year mark.  He has a new, subsidized phone, will have two lines just like before, and even have the same phone numbers, while keeping unlimited data.

jskiirock
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in a similar situation and would like a little more details on how your friend was able to keep the unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's not exactly how it works.  You can add a line of service and order your new phone on the new line of service.  When the phone arrives, activate it on the new line of service with a 2GB $30 data plan.  Then, replace the new smartphone with a basic phone and cancel the data plan.  Now you have freed up your new smartphone and can activate it on your original line of service with the unlimited data plan.  The drawback is you have just committed yourself on a new 2 year contract for an additional line of service at about $15 per month including taxes and fees.

0 Likes
jskiirock
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks; I figured that would be the drawback. In a nutshell, I'll end up paying more. Not good. Im reading up on this new thing that Verizon is trying to do in order to help customers keep their unlimited plan called: Verizon's Device Payment Plan. You can check it out at http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/22/everything-there-is-to-know-about-verizons-device-payment-plan/

0 Likes