Can I continue to have data and service issues in Hawaii at 96853?
SHAWIL72
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've struggled to gain data and service issues at work, where I spend most of my day. I can't receive imessages, and the messages that do come through arrive as text messages which defeats the purpose of having an iphone. The connectivity to nearly every other app and feature of the phone do not work in my building, and I recently can't even get phone calls without having to go out to the parking lot. The problems subside when I leave the parking lot, but obviously I need the service to work while I'm at work. These issues having gotten increasingly worse as time has gone by- over the course of 2-3 years now. Can I expect a resolution? I've been a Verizon customer for 3-4 years now, but I will have to change service providers to someone that can get me service for the majority of the day, if necessary.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I continue to have data and service issues in Hawaii at 96853?
Tidbits
Legend

Exactly where are you? Are  you inside Hickam? Which iPhone are you using?  How many bars are showing?  Any airfields nearby?

I don't work for Verizon, but I work for the DoD so I go onto bases for various things.  I can test out and see what I find.  It might just be topography with low band.

rcschnoor
Legend

SHAWIL72 wrote:

I've struggled to gain data and service issues at work, where I spend most of my day. I can't receive imessages, and the messages that do come through arrive as text messages which defeats the purpose of having an iphone.

Your connectivity may possibly be due to your workplace being in an area with limited service, however messages coming thru as text messages should not be affected by this fact. The difference between iMessages and text messages is that with messages will only come thru as iMessages if ALL senders/recipients of the message are using an iPhone with iMessage activated on the iPhone. If you are sending messages to a non-Apple device or to an Apple device without iMessage activated, THOSE messages will only be sent/received as text messages. If you are sending a group message and one or more recipients in the group have a non-Apple device or don't have iMessage activated the message will be sent as a text message instead of an iMessage. This is a limitation Apple has in place as they do not allow non-Apple devices to participate in the iMessage platform. There is nothing Verizon can do such as improving coverage to overcome this limitation.

Simply having bad coverage or signal for a period of time should not change the way a message is sent/received. Bad coverage would simply mean the sending or receiving of the message would be delayed until you are in an area with better coverage. The message would still be sent/received the way the settings on your phone are set up to send it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

iMessages will use text as a fall back if you are not connected to Apple servers.  I believe the problem he is having is connection and everything works fine up to a certain point then he goes into a building and coverage suffers to the point nothing works right.

SHAWIL72
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm on Hickam, using an iPhone 7. Bar is usually one or two, never any more, and yes, I'm in a building that is right next to the airfield. I successfully got a phone call in the building yesterday. Normally, I have to go outside the building to get signal for phone calls. All data dependent apps are completely useless inside the building.

0 Likes
SHAWIL72
Enthusiast - Level 1

The service gets slightly degraded as soon as I get to the base. It is further degraded once I reach the parking lot where I work, and comes to almost a halt once I get inside the building.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What type of building is it or tell me the building name.  I don't work for Verizon but I do know where a lot of their towers are.  The problem with buildings especially military buildings some are actually a Faraday Cage and the closer you get the worse it is. There are tools to help with coverage in areas like those, but especially military building is a bit a problem.  Due to security and such things can't be connected or placed inside building that are not authorized.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shawil72, we are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your service. As Tidbits has mentioned, that airfield as well as building structure itself may be the cause. You mentioned that you have seen a decrease in signal slowly over time. Do you recall any changes to the structure or perhaps even in the apps or games on the phone?

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes