Can I Use My Phone While I Travel To Puerto Rico?
Olddawgsrule

I hear your service in Puerto Rico is non-existent to say the least. I will require service while there.

I understand AT&T and T-Moblie have Island wide coverage.

Do you have an agreement to roam with either of them?

I will be on the South and East coasts while there, not in San Juan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico
Weth
Legend

Here is a recent discussion regarding Puerto Rico coverage. Some get excellent, some less - settings seem to matter. The good news is that PR is domestic so there is no risk to trying and if it doesn't work, pick up a local SIM and put it in your phone. My brother was just in PR, San Juan area only, and had no problem with Verizon phone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1878425-Verizon-PR-Coverage-2016

Verizon's coverage, with a separate map from cellcom that is reportedly more accurate

Voice:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

When are you comparing this to?   It is much better with users reporting LTE coverage in many areas.  Verizon does roam on multiple networks there, but primary is Claro.  Have roaming enabled.  If you are not getting faster data rates, try toggling international CDMA settings. 

0 Likes
Olddawgsrule

I am in conversation with several folks in Puerto Rico that live there and two fellow travelers who go there often. The basic statement is: Verizon does work down there. AT&T and T-Mobile does.

My two fellow travelers, both of which, told me they picked up a burner phone down there because Verizon just wasn't happening.

Basically, they had to drive to an area known to have a signal and use it there. That doesn't cut it.

Are you telling me, from San Diego, that it works like AT&T and T-Mobile down there? Cause folks down there are telling it doesn't. Someone is not being truthful here..

Send me your coverage map of Puerto Rico and let me see it.

Verizon worked wonderful in Newfoundland last summer. I wish to see the same happen in Puerto Rico.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Here is a recent discussion regarding Puerto Rico coverage. Some get excellent, some less - settings seem to matter. The good news is that PR is domestic so there is no risk to trying and if it doesn't work, pick up a local SIM and put it in your phone. My brother was just in PR, San Juan area only, and had no problem with Verizon phone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1878425-Verizon-PR-Coverage-2016

Verizon's coverage, with a separate map from cellcom that is reportedly more accurate

Voice:

0 Likes
Olddawgsrule

How do I change these settings?

How do I see what my current settings are?

If I do switch the SIM card, am I still on my Verizon plan?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What phone do you have?   If it iphone I can help, if other brand, someone else can chime in. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Olddawgsrule,

How exciting to be traveling soon! As Weth mentioned and showed with those helpful coverage maps, you would have service in Puerto Rico. In fact, it would use your domestic plan (what you already use in the U.S.), so all you'd need to do is make sure your roaming abilities are turned on.

It is slightly different on each device, but check out Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Networks, then look for Roaming or Global options. Make sure both Voice and Data are turned on to Global. What phone will you be bringing? Check out this great link to enter your info and get more specific info on what to expect: http://vz.to/2bAwEEd

Finally,it's not recommended to remove your SIM, as that is what connects the phone to our network (and let's local carriers know you're with us). If you use a different SIM, it will affect how the phone connects and acts, and we would not be able to assist with a non-VZW connection.

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Olddawgsrule

I will have both, my Iphone 6 and my wife's Samsung Galaxy S5.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Olddawgsrule

My daughter was just over and suggested I use my old Iphone 4s as a backup

and do a pre-paid down there.

I like this as a backup.

I would need the unlock code and how to go about this for it to happen.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iphone 6 and Galaxy S5 are already unlocked devices to allow you to pop in a local prepaid SIM card while you are traveling in that country.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.