Re: Can Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans Use Third Party Tethering Apps and NOT get charged?
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Technically the terms of the expired signed contract are still in force unless / until one of the parties (usually the provider) sends in writing the new terms and at what point in time it would be effective. Then you have the choice to abide by the new terms, or cease service, or sign a completely new contract.

Verizon could decide one day to send a notice out to ALL people with expired contracts that still have unlimited Data and change the terms of the existing contract to a tiered plan and if you agree to it, life goes on as is today minus unlimited data and with the tiered data replacing it.  This will also vary state by state

0 Likes
Re: Can Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans Use Third Party Tethering Apps and NOT get charged?
Tidbits
Legend

Jakeman1 wrote:

Technically the terms of the expired signed contract are still in force unless / until one of the parties (usually the provider) sends in writing the new terms and at what point in time it would be effective. Then you have the choice to abide by the new terms, or cease service, or sign a completely new contract.

Verizon could decide one day to send a notice out to ALL people with expired contracts that still have unlimited Data and change the terms of the existing contract to a tiered plan and if you agree to it, life goes on as is today minus unlimited data and with the tiered data replacing it.  This will also vary state by state

I also stated Verizon has to abide by them.  If they change them there is no stopping any person moving forward.  They  literally have to actually get a verbal/written signing stating you agree to the terms.  They can't send a notice, and then give you a new contract.  They can't give an effective date and say "by X date" for it to take all into effect.  I trying to remember the exact lawsuit that happened in the 80's over the same issue and which company it involved.  Give me time and I will see if I can run my old brain and fill it with coffee.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

You did state that and I do agree with you. I do believe though that (again depending on which state you are in) giving notice (such as a credit card company sends) stating that part of the contract is changing (and they can change it as it is technically expired) and giving x number of days or a point in time in the future, and advising that the next step is entirely up to you the customer and the only action you need to take is (if you agree with the change in terms, you do nothing) or (if you do NOT agree with the change in terms, you need to advise them and at that point they (Verizon) will either decide to stop the change) or advise you that if you do not agree with the change, you need to sign a new contract or quit the service.

Now Verizon will NEVER do that as they would need to have 50 different sets of rules (1 for each state) and need to have their employees trained on all 50 (it is hard enough for them to train their employees on a single rule change).

They could also stop the service flat out stating your contract is expired and they are under no obligation to provide service to you any more. Again they would not do that as they would surely alienate customers in doing so

Now I will also put in here, that I might be off and thinking of a financial contract in the respect that the notification process might not be valid for this case.

Bottom line is the contract you signed is still enforceable and in tact once the contract expires. Your payment is the same, your plan is the same, your unlimited data remains the same unless you want it to change, then you get an upgrade and sign a new contract.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes that is correct.  They could do all these things, but they will not and would rather get something verbally which gives them more concrete I never received or heard of the change arguments like we've been hearing.

I already left the old contract as I ended up saving a lot of money and got more smartphones lol.  In the end I make out like a bandit. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You Bandit You) it's only be fitting that i present you this tidbits: Enjoy 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4SKZ_emvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avis_OWEZlI

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

0 Likes