Highlighted

Can Apple iPhones be used as an Internet modem for computers?

Novice

Hello.

Can Apple iPhones (e.g., 4S and its iOS v7.1.2), with its data plan (e.g., 2 GB Verizon Wireless 3G), be used as Internet modems for computers (Mac OS X 10.5.8+, Windows XP+, and Linux/Debian [stable])? If so, then how?

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Can Apple iPhones be used as an Internet modem for computers?

They can be used both as a USB-connected modem and as a Wi-FI hotspot. Wi-FI Hotspot tends to be the easiest to configure. To turn it on, you'll need to go to Settings > Personal Hotspot and configure the few settings that appear in the menu.

Note that on some older plans, Hotspot or Tethering requires additional payment to use if I remember correctly. On Share Everything plans this is included.

Highlighted

Novice

smith6612 wrote:

They can be used both as a USB-connected modem and as a Wi-FI hotspot. Wi-FI Hotspot tends to be the easiest to configure. To turn it on, you'll need to go to Settings > Personal Hotspot and configure the few settings that appear in the menu.

Note that on some older plans, Hotspot or Tethering requires additional payment to use if I remember correctly. On Share Everything plans this is included.

Let's say an iPhone 4S (iOS 7.1.2) has Verzion Wireless' 2 GB data plan used for its 3G Internet stuff. It already has the requirements to provide. Just need to enable its wifi hotspot for other devices to connect to. Am I correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Pretty much. Again though, I do stress that you check to make sure your plan doesn't require an unnecessary (IMO) tethering charge before hotspot can be enabled.

Highlighted

Novice

smith6612 wrote:

Pretty much. Again though, I do stress that you check to make sure your plan doesn't require an unnecessary (IMO) tethering charge before hotspot can be enabled.

Will it say it on the bill? It's a family plan (1 iPhone + 2 dumb phones; 2 GB data, 1400 minutes voice; no (text/SMS)ing, etc.).

0 Likes
Highlighted

It would say in My Verizon as a feature to the phone account. The bill will show if you're paying for hotspot features. Best to double check with Verizon on what their current policy is on this.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Using your iPhone as a hotspot with your 1400 minute Family plan would have a charge of $30/month which would include 2 GB of data.

Highlighted

Novice

rcschnoor wrote:

Using your iPhone as a hotspot with your 1400 minute Family plan would have a charge of $30/month which would include 2 GB of data.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Likes