Beyond Unlimited is slower than my original plan
RAM1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

Started noticing degradation of speed/performance through our Verizon wi-fi as well as 4G LTE.  Got in touch with Customer Service - was told I need to upgrade from the modem/router we've had for 4-5 years to new equipment.  New "router" arrived, a cradlepoint model.  We were not told that this was not a router/modem as previously, so finally found out we also had to buy a USB730L modem and connect it to the router and all will be well.  Was also told that it would be less expensive and a better option to go with the Beyond Unlimited plan and away from a standard 30Gb plan I had been using for years.

Well, performance sucks.  I've run a couple different internet speed testers at home where equipment is, including Verizon's and first of all, speeds are much faster if I turn off wi-fi.  Still not as good as they used to be, OR as good as at our cabin 60 miles away (no wi-fi there).  So it runs faster on LTE than it does through wi-fi.  Speeds in the evening are so slow either way I feel like I'm in a hotel with three bus loads of teenagers all fighting for bandwidth.

In summary, I've gotten slower performance since switching - Verizon can refund me for this router and modem, remove the third phone number the modem is connected.  I will keep the two phone numbers, go back to 30 Gb plan and get my wi-fi elsewhere.  I'm a business customer since 1998 and I find this all quite unacceptable.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Beyond Unlimited is slower than my original plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RAM1961 

This long term relationship is important to us. With the Beyond Unlimited Plan, to ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a Smartphone line and 15 GB's on a Mobile Hotspot/Jetpack device during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers during network congestion. This means your data connection could slow down. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduces to speeds up to 600 Kbps (only after 15 GB/month on the Beyond Unlimited plans). Have you used more than 15 GB's on that modem device at this time? 

For more information reagarding your Beyond Unlimited Plan, click the link below: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/beyond-unlimited-faqs/

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes