Backup Assistant not finishing
josey23a

I got an LG Cosmos 2 last month and have Backup Assistant installed as I have had on my phones for several years. Since installing it on this phone Backup Assistant has trouble finishing.

Most days I have the problem that I want to use my phone but am faced with a screen saying "checking  address book for changes...."  I have to click cancel/clear to be able to use the phone.  It seems like Backup Assistant is hanging up when it's almost done.  I've tried moving around the time of day and reinstalling without luck.

My search of the boards didn't turn up anything.  Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea of solutions? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant not finishing
klwilbur

So both my wife and I got LG Cosmos about 2 months or so ago.  We had the exact same error.

What is appears is that when our phones are locked, the Backup Assistant cannot complete, so it locks up with "checking address book for changes..." until you unlock the phone.  If you unlock it, it will complete.

Unfortunately, it uses up battery power while it is trying to complete.

To make things worse, there doesn't appear to be any option to delete Backup Assistant from this phone.

I went through all this will Verizon Technical Support.  They agreed that it is probably a software issue in the phone (I had the most recent software update and that didn't help).

So Verizon is sending me a different model phone.  I'm surprised there isn't more on this issue.  I googled "checking address book for changes..." and this is the only page that came up.

Too bad.  I liked the Cosmos as a basic phone.  At least I am not getting hit with any additional charges as they change out both of our phones.  So I have to give Verizon customer support some kudos.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I definitely understand how not being able to use Backup Assistant.  I use that app all the time.  Have you tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it?  Are you having any other issues with the phone?  Have you tried to do a master reset on the device?  Please answer these questions so I can further assist and resolve your issue.  I hope this helps.  Thanks.

0 Likes
josey23a

I have reinstalled Backup Assistant but haven't done a "master reset." 

How do I do that for my phone and does this mean I'll lose everything on my phone (except my contacts)?  I have an LG Cosmos 2.  (disheartened to hear that someone else had to get a new phone)

--Joe

0 Likes
MarcusI
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes if you do a master reset your phone will revert to factory settings and erase your messages, photos, contacts, and possibly your applications.

You should be able to access the reset option in your settings/security menu, your security code default is the last 4 of your phone #

Hope this helps,

MI

0 Likes
josey23a

>>>Yes if you do a master reset your phone will revert to factory settings

>>>and erase your messages, photos, contacts, and possibly your applications.

Seriously?  I don't suppose Backup Assistant gets anything other than my contact?

Grumble, grumble.  I'll think about it.

--Joe

0 Likes
MarcusI
Enthusiast - Level 3

unfortunatly not...I'm sorry.  I believe the cosmos 2 does have a micro sd slot, you can save your photos if you have a memory card, if you have important text messages you can text them to your email address and you can always redownload applications.

A 2GB memory card is only $20 and you can use it to transfer photos to your computer so you will always have a backup.

And of course your contacts will restore with backup assistant.

MI

0 Likes
mollyosb

This describes one of the issues I've had with my Cosmos 2 since receiving it in August.

1. every morning, the backup assistant app is hung up, waiting for me to unlock the keypad.
  2. I've also had the dreaded "daily scoop" plague.  A reprieve of a couple of weeks at one point, but I still receive the dumb pop up messages even though I disabled/deleted the app.
  3. Periodically when I go to use the phone, the red Apps launch screen appears. It's similar to the backup assistant issue in that it seems to be "hung up" on the launch screen.  After I unlock the phone, I have to cancel the app to continue with what I was doing.

Fortunately, none of these seems to drain the battery. The phone still goes to sleep after 15 seconds, but it's quite annoying to have to close an app I wasn't using to send a text or make a call.

BTW, the friendly folks at the Verizon store just assured me I was probably purse dialing...

LG & Verizon, please get this figured out!

0 Likes
josey23a

Oh well, I bought the memory card, saved my photos and reset the phone.

The problem continues: most days (not every day) the backup assistant get stuck and doesn't finish.  I go to use my phone and find it is stuck and need to cancel out of backup assistant before I can make a call.  And the battery is run down.  Ugh.

Question:

Is there a way to NOT run backup assistant automatically? I rarely change my contacts and would prefer to run backup assistant manually once a month. 

The whole thing is annoying because I like the phone otherwise.

0 Likes
Not applicable

josey23a wrote:

Oh well, I bought the memory card, saved my photos and reset the phone.

The problem continues: most days (not every day) the backup assistant get stuck and doesn't finish.  I go to use my phone and find it is stuck and need to cancel out of backup assistant before I can make a call.  And the battery is run down.  Ugh.

Question:

Is there a way to NOT run backup assistant automatically? I rarely change my contacts and would prefer to run backup assistant manually once a month. 

The whole thing is annoying because I like the phone otherwise.

I can understand your frustration with Backup Assistant.  I had a phone that was giving me the same problem.  To answer your question: no, you can not run Backup Assistant manually. As a work around I would suggest doing a master reset and then try syncing with Backup Assistant.  The steps to do the reset are as follows:

From the main screen, press MENU
Scroll to  Settings & Tools, press OK
Scroll to  Phone Settings, press  OK
Scroll to  Security, press OK
Enter Lock Code displays
Enter the 4 Digit lock code (default lock code last 4 digits of phone number)
Highlight Restore Phone, press OK
Restore Phone -Permanently erases all user data & resets settings to factory default. This phone will need to be reprogrammed.
Highlight Yes and press OK to restore default settings or highlight No and press OK to return to the Security list.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

0 Likes