Anyone using a Samsung Strive SGH-A687 on Verizon's GSM? If so, I have more questions, thanks.
RobbedByVerizon2015

Hi all,

I am new here and don't know where I should plant this discussion thread so please forgive me. I'll happily move it if someone will help me out. Thanks!

Here is why I ask my question. I am still an AT&T customer but wanted to augment my cell phone coverage so after asking a neighbor, I decided to give Verizon a try. I picked up a prepaid device at the local Wallyworld, put $20 on it, got a phone number and when I started figuring out how to use it, and because the box doesn't list what it does and does not do, only later do I see it has no videocam. Shoot. I return it a few days later. So now I have a Verizon phone number but no device.

I order a Verizon branded LG phone from Amazon for about $50. It has all the features I need but it proves defective. Sigh. I order a different device, and when I consulted with Verizon tech support about the problems it was demonstrating they suggested I send it back. SIGH!

BTW, I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience: Verizon Eva. The automated female answer voice at their 800-922-0204. I call her Eva because she reminds me of Eva Braun. She is programmed to say "I see we're having a problem. Goodbye." So Verizon wants nothing to do with fixing the problem, rather than sending me to a human, Verizon hangs up on me. I did get a few human agents, in America no less (whew), a few calls back who were actually rather nice. But not any since, and I still have money sitting on the account.

Because I have to use my AT&T phone to call Verizon for help, it costs me money to talk to them for help with their service. Verizon has no shame, apparently. (I simply don't use the phone day in/day out enough to justify having an unlimited plan, so neener.)

So I am still without a device.

In the meantime, I buy a new device for my AT&T phone number, and now my old Samsung Strive is sitting here still good but it is locked to AT&T, and I have a spare Verizon phone number but Verizon is uninterested in helping me get it onto their system. I did check the MEID on their system but because it is locked to AT&T, the last agent, Apathetic Jeff, acted like he was bored with the problem and tried to just sell me another phone.

I'm going to wait a few days for any replies I get here that might help me unlock the phone* so I can try to use up the funds still sitting unused on the phone number. Considering how little interest Verizon has shown in my business, and how terrible the 800 Eva is (won't hear requested number entries, won't just give me a human, etc), I will not keep the phone number.

*If you have used an unlock code supplier, please tell me who you used. I've seen rates from $6 for a code all the way up to $50 . Since Apathetic Jeff tried to suggest the unlocked Strive won't work on Verizon just to get a sale, I think he fibbed.

If I don't hear from anyone, I'm going to consider the unused money a loss and that will explain my user name:

RobbedByVerizon

And I'll just buy an AT&T SIM card for the Strive and spend my money with them.

AND, AT&T charges only 10c/min, 20c/text, while Verizon charges 25c/min, 20c/text. I was going to upgrade to an unlimited plan with Verizon, but even if I am able to get the Samsung unlocked and put a Verizon SIM in it, I'll only use it to text.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone using a Samsung Strive SGH-A687 on Verizon's GSM? If so, I have more questions, thanks.
Weth
Legend

Verizon is not a GSM carrier in the sense for this phone.  Also notice the SIM card info you posted is only for LTE phones, and specifically stated Verzon phones. I researched this phone, it will not work on Verizon, period.  For the purpose of the general meaning, Verizon does not have a GSM network.  Basically for all but the very latest generation smartphones, you must have a Verizon branded phone for it to work on the Verizon CDMA network, or LTE network, the only types of networks Verison has. 

*I realize LTE is a continuation of the GSM standard, but it would be wrong to label Verizon a GSM carrier. 

View solution in original post

Re: Anyone using a Samsung Strive SGH-A687 on Verizon's GSM? If so, I have more questions, thanks.
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You may not be able to use the AT&T hone with your VZW number. Just to set that expectation. IF you are, you may not get all of the functionality. We are not to the point where we can take phones across carriers yet.

The best that I can offer you is to contact Verizon at 1-888-890-3721 for prepay. They may be able to assist you better.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Hi sprmankalel,

I understand it might not but then again, it might. I am trying to get help determining that. As for functionality, like I said, I plan to only use it to text. We won't know until I get it unlocked and get a SIM card in it.

I am not going to call Verizon Eva again, so no thanks, for the reasons I listed. That's why I'm here. For actual help, not to be told to just keep banging my head against the Verizon 800 numbers.

How did you get your answer marked as "Correct" when your's is the only answer so far?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Actually it seems like you robbed yourself.

In the US, verizon is a CDMA network not gsm. So a gsm phone will not work here on the network. They however can roam on overseas gsm networks. So it seems like you need to go shopping again and find a phone that is verizon branded that will work, or see about getting your money back for your service. Either way it goes however, sarcasm will get you nowhere.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Also this is a peer to peer forum not a link to customer service. So when people tell you to call customer service they are right. If you don't wanna call however that's up to you.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Actually pherson, according to Verizon, it is a CDMA AND a GSM carrier, so though I was interested in a CDMA phone, I now don't care. See, I am reasonable after all. Go check it out for yourself, look at the Verizon products page for SIM cards and lo and behold you'll see you can buy one. CDMAs don't use SIMs so guess what that means.

And I know this is a peer to peer community. I want help from my peers. Like I said, customer service has been of no help.

If you don't have a Samsung Strive, nor ever used an unlock code service, that's fine, just let me wait for someone who has. Have a good one.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The phones use sims to be used outside of the us as I've explained. Enjoy your wait times, as no one uses that phone on the verizon network.

Now YOU, have a good one. Happy waiting.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Au contrare:

Verizon SIM.PNG

You now owe me a beer.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Wait, I missed that part: sarcasm? When was I being sarcastic? I haven't been sarcastic about anything or anyone...yet.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

I pulled that snip image from the US website where I am offered US products. I see no asterisks indicating for use only outside of the US. So unless someone supplies proof of what they contend to the contrary, similar to how I have, they are sadly misinformed.

Now, I'd like to return to waiting for responsive answers to my question, thanks.

0 Likes