Anybody else upset by the changes to the Verizon plans and upgrade options?
Mamacita89

Just have to vent, but after more than 10 years as a Verizon customer, I am getting ready to jump ship. Today I visited a Verizon store, a Verizon Cellular Sales store, and a Target store in an effort to upgrade my phone. At the Verizon store, I felt rushed into a phone, but wait - we have no screen protectors in stock for that phone, do you mind calling in a few hours to see if they came in on today's shipment and coming back in? So I stop by the Verizon Cellular Sales store that just opened 5 minutes from my house. Can't tell you how many red flags went up to see that none of the phones had prices listed with the descriptions. All four sales reps were busy with other customers and seemed settled in for the long haul. The guy who was there ahead of me had already been waiting for 15 minutes. So off to Target, which was advertising a Galaxy S5 for a penny if you signed a 2-year contract. Per the Target mobile rep - you can't do contracts with Verizon anymore - but the sign under the phone and on the Target website clearly says you can, and that the price is valid for another day. After much arm twisting, I get her to check with her supervisor to find out that "some" Verizon customers can get the special deal, but they have to run it through Verizon first to verify. After 10 minutes of trying to help her verify my upgrade status - with her computer rejecting my Verizon password. I gave up and went home empty handed.  Now I'm actively checking out other carriers and ready to jump ship.

[Comment edited to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service ]

Subject and Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Anybody else upset by the changes to the Verizon plans and upgrade options?
Shebabliss
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm. So..

1) VZW Store 1- What phone was it? Some locations may be out of screen protectors for some phones, especially if it is a relatively unpopular model.  Inventory is a thing, some supplies are limited. However, you should never feel rushed to buy a phone, and if the store wasn't working with you and you had a bad experience they did not try to fix, I can't blame you for not buying there - I wouldn't either!

2) VZW Store 2 - It was a Saturday. Locations are busy. There should probably have been a host to greet you and get you checked in, but Saturdays are busy and waits are not unexpected. I always wait forever (45 minutes +) at carrier stores, and so I try to work with resellers as much as possible, since their service is usually far faster and I feel less of a "commission push". But, everywhere is probably pretty busy on a Saturday.

3) Target - this is the one that confuses me.  I usually get phones at a different retailer, but the ones I do shop at have all been able to do two year upgrades.  If it is advertised as such in store, you should be able to get a two year upgrade.  Three things here- 1) Target may not want to sell a two year upgrade, maybe they make less on them, and so its just policy at that particular location. 2) If you have unlimited data or some old weird plan you've been holding on to, their system may not be able to keep it.  There also may be an issue with your account. They can possibly do two year upgrades, but they may not be able to on *your* plan. 3) If you don't have some special loyalty plan, its probably not in your best interest to get a two year upgrade anyway - most accounts are better off with Device Payment.  But that should have been explained by the Target rep or the person you worked with at VZW Store 1.

So, confusing, and I'm sorry for your experience. But to answer your question: no, I am not upset at all at Verizon for their plan changes.  Contracts aren't customer friendly at all, and Verizon is providing a great value with their new plans.  I do wish communication was better about their benefits and differences.

Also, where would you jump ship to? AT&T and T-Mobile do not offer contracts to new customers period. At all. Sprint does though they frown on it, and typically the service quality would steer others away.  All carriers would also be very busy on a Saturday. I don't see where you could improve!

0 Likes
fleurdelise
Enthusiast - Level 1

1. "I felt rushed into a phone"? When you go into a store, it is a sales environment. The people who work there sell phones. People will try to tell you things- -you are free to say no! As for the screen protector, if it's not in stock, then it's not in stock. You are free to say no to this as well. Inventory may have been low since that day was a shipment day.

2. If this is a corporate store you are free to access the online tool to "set an appointment" so that you can arrive closer to this time to avoid the wait. It's not unheard of to wait 45 minutes to an hour or more, especially if it's a busy day on a Saturday when you and everyone else is doing their shopping. This can be circumvented altogether by purchasing a phone online and shipping it to your house, or (if available to you) opting for an online order being scheduled for in-store pickup. You would have gotten a notification within an hour letting you know the phone was ready to be picked up, and it saves on time. All four of those reps can only handle so many people at a time, and would have gotten to you when they could.

3. Target's mobile rep may have been unclear. If you are an existing customer on a specific type of plan, you are able to utilize the two year contract option (hence the "some customers" rhetoric). "Run it through Verizon first to verify" sounds more like they need to access your account to determine which plan you're on.

While all of these parties you dealt with probably work hard for their money, it sounds like your needs have best been served by using the online chat service. From there, you could have closed the chat instead of feeling pressured, checked inventory on a screen protector for your phone (among other options), ordered online from the comfort of your home without waiting in line or sitting around in a store, and determined your upgrade status and upgrade options by simply having an online rep check for you.

There is a reason so many people switch and then come back. TMobile and AT&T both do not offer 2 year contracts to new customers. When you switch back to Verizon, you'll find as a "new" customer you would not be eligible for a 2 year contract either.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Mamacita89 wrote:

Just have to vent, but after more than 10 years as a Verizon customer, I am getting ready to jump ship. Today I visited a Verizon store, a Verizon Cellular Sales store, and a Target store in an effort to upgrade my phone. At the Verizon store, I felt rushed into a phone, but wait - we have no screen protectors in stock for that phone, do you mind calling in a few hours to see if they came in on today's shipment and coming back in? So I stop by the Verizon Cellular Sales store that just opened 5 minutes from my house. Can't tell you how many red flags went up to see that none of the phones had prices listed with the descriptions. All four sales reps were busy with other customers and seemed settled in for the long haul. The guy who was there ahead of me had already been waiting for 15 minutes. So off to Target, which was advertising a Galaxy S5 for a penny if you signed a 2-year contract. Per the Target mobile rep - you can't do contracts with Verizon anymore - but the sign under the phone and on the Target website clearly says you can, and that the price is valid for another day. After much arm twisting, I get her to check with her supervisor to find out that "some" Verizon customers can get the special deal, but they have to run it through Verizon first to verify. After 10 minutes of trying to help her verify my upgrade status - with her computer rejecting my Verizon password. I gave up and went home empty handed.  Now I'm actively checking out other carriers and ready to jump ship.

The last time somebody treated me like this, at least they had the common courtesy to buy me dinner first!

1.) You can't do anything about the inventory in the store. If it out of stock it is out of stock.

2.) Cellular Sales sounds like a retailer. Not necessarily someone there to direct traffic.

3.) Target is also a retailer and if you cannot correctly verify the PIN on your account they can't pull it up. That would not be their fault. You, as the account owner, should know this information. As far as the contract, they are half right. Existing customers who have completed a 2 year contract should be eligible for another. However, no matter the date on the sign, Verizon may not allow retailers to do contracts any longer. They don't want you on a contract.

WatfordVal
Enthusiast - Level 2

All summed up, I don't understand why Verizon would stop using the "More Everything" term, and if they are going to stop offering 2 Year plans (with phone cost reduction), then I am VERY UPSET! I Have always loved Verizon,  but I think the changes are destroying the Verizon name & Reputation!

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Are you really bent because they aren't calling it More Everything any longer? I don't get it. You have your own post which I have commented on but I am not sure that I follow your logic. How about you keep everything in your post so that we can follow you?

BoulderGeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

It seems like every thread where people have legitimate issues with Verizon, you get these astroturfing apologists justifying the crappy service and sales tactics of Big Red.

We, as consumers and customers, must be stupid to think that there could be objective lack of bias in a Verizon forum.  What a joke.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

What exactly is your point?

Weth
Legend

Nah, if you read the forum posts, Verizon gets slapped when there is good reason.  Many people are partly to mostly to blame for their troubles, but just want to blame the big guy.  Some events are rather trivial and common and have most scratching our heads as to what is the real problem.  Yours fits that category.  Items go out of stock, companies change sales focus all the time.  All I see is a bad shopping day, not some conspiracy. Then there is the is if you don't agree with me, you are a shill mentality when another view Is presented rather than considering it. 

Snn5
Legend

Current customers can begin a new contract in a Verizon Corporate store, not online, at another retailer, or over the phone.  Why people still want contracts, which cost more in line charges and upgrade fees I'll never understand.

0 Likes