Another slow tower.
LauraVick

We recently purchased a house near Mena, Arkansas, zip 71953.  The house is roughly 8 miles WNW of the town of Mena.  Using the app Open Signal, we are able to see the general direction of the tower (from the house).  We installed the WeBoost EQO, with an indoor antenna, and it did improve the signal level.  We also noticed that Data Speeds were relatively good between midnight and 7:00 am (generally around 8 to 10 Mbps, downstream), but VERY poor between 7:00 am and midnight (generally between 1Kbps to 2Kbps).  We are very disappointed, as we were hoping to be able to "work from home" at this house location, and also be able to do some streaming video (Pioneer Communications StreamTV app, Netflix and Amazon Prime video).  Are there any plans to either A) add another tower in the vicinity of Mena, Arkansas, or B) add more bandwidth to the existing tower(s) around Mena, Arkansas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Another slow tower.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We want to make sure you have reliable service. When did you first notice this was occurring? Also, have others reported the same issues you are experiencing?

MatthewI_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Another slow tower.
LauraVick

We were in Mena over Thanskgiving, and I ran many speed tests, using OpenSignal and the Speediest app, from my iPhone X. I have no idea if others have reported this issue.

I work for a company that used to have a Wireless subsidiary (GSM technology, and subsequently sold to another carrier), and we currently provide Backhaul to Verizon Wireless and other carriers in the area. Fortunately, we have Fiber cable DEEP on our network, including very Rural areas (we have 300+, fiber-fed Remote DSLAMS), and can provide VzW and other carriers with as much bandwidth as they want.

So, I believe that the issue in Mena, Arkansas, is primarily a Backhaul Bandwidth issue. I suspect that the local wireline carrier (or anyone else capable of providing backhaul in Western Arkansas, for that matter) is not currently capable of providing VzW with adequate bandwidth, but that is just a guess, at this point.

I don’t expect VzW to be able to address my specific issue (Mena, Arkansas) any time soon, but I would like to get a rough time table for when additional bandwidth, or additional towers, might be expected in Western Arkansas.

Best Regards.

Tom (Laura is my wife, and the Account is for her phone, and a few kids/grandkids).

0 Likes