Another Verizon Trade in Scam
JOSBRU69
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is now the second time I've had issues with the Verizon Wireless Trade - In program.  Last year when I upgrades four iPhone 6S's for 4 iPhone 7 Plus two of the refunds got "lost" and it took over 6 months to get resolved. Now this year it's even worse.  Verizon is now making all users switch to the pay per month plan for your phone, which I don't really have an issue with.  The issue is when they talk you into buying the newest iPhone X and than rip you off on the trade in.  In November of this year I decided to upgrade two of the 7S Plus to the iPhone X.  I have paid off 50% of the phones and they asked if I wanted to upgrade for no cost, the trade in would cover the difference.  I ordered the new phones and waited for them to arrive.  As soon as they came I activated them per the instructions and packaged up the old iPhone 7 Plus per the instructions.  When I sent the old phones in they where perfectly fine working condition with no damage.  I placed them in their flimsy boxes and mailed them off to Verizon. Three weeks later I received an email that one of the phone was not accepted due to damage and that they are sending back to me.  I'm now responsible for the remaining 50% that's owed on the phone.  I got the "damaged" phone back at the end of the week and it had a sticker on it highlighting the "damage" a microscopic chip out of the corner of the screen.  The phone worked fine but had very minor damage.

I know that the damage was not present when I mailed it off and called customer service back and said that the damage must of happened in transit or at your facility, as it wasn't like that when I mailed it off.  Their response was to take it up with the carrier or pay to get the phone fixed and mail it back.  I asked that they take it up with the carrier to get their money back since the phone was mailed in their packaging that they paid for. That was not an option.  After speaking with two different CSR reps they basically said sorry pay for the phone or pay to get it fixed.

However, since the damage was so minor we decided to keep the iPhone 7S and return the iPhone X this way we wouldn't be stuck with two phone bills.  When I called CSR for the 3rd time they informed me that since it's past the 14 day return policy they can't accept the iPhone X.  I wasn't told about the damage until 3 weeks after I purchased.  There has to be a period between a phone activation and review.  There's a major incentive for Verizon to wait the 14 days to tell a customer their trade in isn't accepted and than tell them they have to paid it off themselves.  I returned the phones the same day the new ones came, it's not my fault it took them longer than 14 day to review the phone and tell me it wasn't accepted.  It seems like a huge scam...

It seems like a major bait and switch and a ploy to steal even more money. I'm very unhappy with my experience so far and may consider switching carriers.  I can't believe as a company Verizon has little to offer in terms of servicing their customers.

Has anyone else had issues like this and what are my options?

Labels (1)
Re: Another Verizon Trade in Scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JOSBRU69

Verizon Wireless does commit to delivering the best products and service with customer service being the priority. Operating with integrity is at the core of who we are as a company and it does concern us to hear you feel this way. I definitely understand your frustration and I apologize for all the inconvenience you have experienced. The trade in program is a great way to receive funds back on your old device when upgrading to a new device. It is concerning to hear you feel this way but we would never want to lose you. Just to confirm, the iPhone 7S was returned immediately after you received the iPhone X correct? Were you shown pictures of the box the device was returned in to the warehouse?

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The saying, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind when I read this post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

stef7
Master - Level 2

That's harsh. Sure, maybe the first time was a "one off" experience. Why should one believe the second time a trade-in is attempted, it will not be honored?

Perhaps the saying should be "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, not anyone else".

JOSBRU69
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree.  It leaves someone little faith to ever participate again.  Twice in 2 years isn't a coincidence...

0 Likes
JOSBRU69
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Verizon Wireless Customer Support; @CandiceH_VZW ; Yes, the phone was returned and I was shown a picture which is great, but it was returned/notified 14 days after I received the new one, not allowing me to return the new phone.  If you decide not to accept the old phone I should have the opportunity to return the new one I just bought to avoid having to pay for both.  That's the entire point of being able to upgrade on the new contracts.  Trade in your old phone, to receive the latest.  However, if you don't accept the old one than take back the new one. 

You're answer did not answer my question.

stef7
Master - Level 2

I completely agree.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd like to take a look at the device, . Can you upload a picture of the chipped screen here to the forums?

DavidH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes