Another Keep Unlimited Data Question
Mlbfreaks2765

Hello all,

I'm due for an upgrade and want to get the new Samsung Galaxy Note II. I know about the "NO MORE UNLIMITED" scenario.

Question:

My mother has a "dumb phone." Can I transfer the upgrade to her line and upgrade to the Note II, then transfer it to my line to keep unlimited? (I'll cancel her data plan and reactivate her old phone.)

OR

Will I have to pay an ETF on her line and upgrade to the Note II and do the rest?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Another Keep Unlimited Data Question
AZSALUKI
Legend

you should be able to.

purchase and activate on her line (select the individual 2 gig data plan).

turn your phone off and pull the battery. 

get a new micro sim card for the note ii on your line and activate it.

reactivate her old phone.

unless they have changed some policies, there should be no issues with this.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I didn't think that you could transfer the upgrade from one line to another.  I thought that you could only transfer devices from one line to another.  In other words, I thought that your scenario would only work if the mother's line was eligible for an upgrade.

budone
Legend

Are you two on the same account?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you transfer the upgrade available on YOUR line to your mother's line, YOUR line is still getting the contract renewal/extension. Thus the unlimited data plan is no longer available for YOUR line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you're correct. i completely misread the question.

0 Likes
kalafle1

what you would want to do is called a cross upgrade. you both have to be on the same account. your mothers line has to be upgrade elgible. if it is elgible, upgrade the line then take the phone off of her number put her "dumb phone" back on her number. take your new phone put it on your line. make sure that it will not change the data plan. when you call in to change the devices on the line, ask for a supe to confirm because reps will tell you one thing and do another. the contract will be a new 2 year agreement on her line. this will not effect your line at all and will still be upgrade elgible. i believe this is the only way to do this unless verizon has changed some things.

0 Likes
Mlbfreaks2765

OK. Talked to a rep (like everyone else does) and was told that I can transfer my upgrade, keep unlimited data and transfer to my line. I don't know what to believe anymore.

0 Likes
LinMcHugh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did it two days ago.  Upgraded a "dumbphone line" received my Galaxy Note II, had everything in front of me.  Told the customer service rep I wanted to have the GN2 on my 3661 line with the same features I had.  Told her to put in the system as a provider phone.  Was told to put the sim card in and power up, and everything was fine.  The dumbphone is still active with an extended contract, and my main line has the GN2 with unlimited.  There was absolutely no problem with this.  There is still an upgrade on my main line, and even a $100 credit, but I will not use it because then I would lose the unlimited data. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless I'm missing something, what you did and what Mbfreaks2765 wants to do are different.  You upgraded a dumb line, moved the new phone to your unlimited line, and put a dumb phone back on the dumb phone line.  Everything is fine; you kept unlimited and the dumb line's contract is extended two years.  What Mbfreaks2765 wants to do is transfer an upgrade from an unlimited line to a dumb line, then use that upgrade on the dumb line, and put the new phone on the unlimited line ... that's the same as using the upgrade on the unlimited line in the first place, meaning ... unlimited data will be lost and a tiered data plan will have to be chosen.

0 Likes