Re: Adding hotspot to unlimited data plan
JeffUSPS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also thinking of buy the HTC DNA phone outright $599 to keep my Unlimited data. If I buy a Tablet ( I pad 4 ) and use DNA phone for mobile hot spot. I heared it $30 a month to add. I heard we still get Unlimited data on the Tablet from the Hotspot & I heard you only get 2GB on your hot spot.  So what the real answear ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JeffUSPS,

I like to clarify the answer about having an unlimited data plan! If you have an unlimited data plan currently and do an upgrade paying the full retail cost on your device! However, the unlimited data plan is no longer available. If you get a discount on a device, we would ask you to select a shared data plan allowance to cover your data needs! Here's a link to the data plans http://bit.ly/UOjibo

Thanks,
EdW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For those with unlimited data, unlimited hotspot is $30 per month.  For those on tiered data, 2 GB hotspot is $20 per month.  For those on Share Everything plans, hotspot is included.

0 Likes
Not applicable

So for $30 those on unlimited get unlimited data on the hotspot so they could use their phone as a regular internet connection then? Sounds like a deal. Might explain why the rest of us only get 2 GB also.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

yet another reason why so many people don't want to let go of their unlimited

0 Likes
TigerJess

Hi EdW_VZW,

So, I have a situation where I am on an old family plan with unlimited data. I am currently using an iPhone 4S and my mother is using the HTC Thunderbolt. I would I the purchase an iPhone 5 at FULL price, not upgrading to the iPhone 5 through Verizon at the subsidized price and not signing a new contract. The iPhone 5 is a 4G phone, which has mobile hotspot capability.

For this scenario, would I keep my unlimited data plan and then just pay that monthly fee for the unlimited mobile hotspot ability?

Thank You,

TigerJess

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

yes

0 Likes
TigerJess

Hi Tikibar1,

Thanks for the information. Just one more thing to clarify: I'm hearing that you only have to pay the $30/month if you're using the Verizon hotspot app; if you use a third party app, like Foxifi or something, you don't get charged, Is this true? Is there something more to this beyond being as simple as downloading and using a third party app instead of the VZW hotspot app?

Thank you,

TigerJess

0 Likes
Not applicable

TigerJess wrote:

Hi Tikibar1,

Thanks for the information. Just one more thing to clarify: I'm hearing that you only have to pay the $30/month if you're using the Verizon hotspot app; if you use a third party app, like Foxifi or something, you don't get charged, Is this true? Is there something more to this beyond being as simple as downloading and using a third party app instead of the VZW hotspot app?

Thank you,

TigerJess

If you use a 3rd party app you won't get charged until they catch you using it. I'm not sure what the penalty is for getting caught.

0 Likes
go4ward99

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan with mobile hot spot, iPhone 4s not yet up for renewal. I'm planning to get an iPhone 5 not under contract to keep the unlimited plan. My understanding is the mobile Hotspot will be $30/month and be part of the unlimited plan. Do I have that correct? Thanks, Mike

0 Likes