Above Unlimited Data Speeds
Vermilion40

I joined Verizon last month and the speeds (ranges .67Mbps to 1.1Mbps) have been sub par to say the least. Any attempt at viewing a Youtube video or listening to music via Tidal is out of the question, it will start the media then buffer throughout the entirety. I am using a LG V20 with the above unlimited plan. Only 5.4gb of data used and 3/4th of that is due to phone updates, I've done a factory reset and the network reset multiple times with no change. I live in a rural area (about 15miles outside of the closest city) but the closest tower is just 2.5 miles away so connection strength and user saturation should not be a problem I would think. Are there any other suggestions that I could attempt to help alleviate this situation ? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Above Unlimited Data Speeds
boringusername
Master - Level 1

2 1/2 miles is not that close. Especially if there are things in between you like trees. Being rural doesn't mean anything. If you have everyone trying to use mobile as home itnernet that can use a lot of data with just afew people. If there is tower in a rual area it's usually near a busy highway. Verizon isn't going to just flush money away on a tower no one uses. Also how do you know for a fact that the tower in question is a Verizon tower?

0 Likes
Vermilion40

Seeing which towers are in your area is quite easy with sites such as cellmapper and antenna search. Also I agree with the rural internet usage possibly being an issue. Coming from AT&T with an average speed of 10Mbps+, I just had the same expectations with verizon. Live and learn as they say will continue to test and if all else fails can always switch back.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

5-12mbps is the best the network will provide & can be much slower.

i suggest you use secured wi-fi for updates, real big ones time-out & can cause problems.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@bearone21 wrote:

5-12mbps is the best the network will provide & can be much slower.

i suggest you use secured wi-fi for updates, real big ones time-out & can cause problems.

Clearly 5-12 Mbps is not the best. I've gotten over 130 Mbps. Verizon states 5-12 is what should be exepcted but that's not changed since they first introduced LTE 9 years ago using just band 13 and just 2x2 MIMO and no  LTE-A. They haven't updated that statement since.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! Welcome to the Verizon Wireless family. I would like to help improve your signal. Please confirm your Roaming settings are on for your LG V20. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207817/ Also, may I have your zip code? Please include the nearest intersection to the trouble location.

VanetrisC_VZW

0 Likes