ANGRY!!!
VictoriaAngry
Enthusiast - Level 2

On March 11th, I went to a Verizon Store in Chula Vista, CA because both of my parents were due for upgrades. The sales associate convinced us to get the Verizon Edge plan which seemed amazing. With the promotion at that time he informed us that included in the Edge plan came their two new 6 plus iphones, cases for each, screen protectors, JBL bluetooth speakers, and car chargers all for about $415 after taxes and then there would be a one time fee with the next bill. This seemed like a great deal to me. I was very excited. He then proceeded to tell me that for a ONE TIME $25 dollar fee I could get a Verizon tablet. I ask him THREE times if this came with any monthly costs. I clarified the importance of this not having strings attached as NO MONTHLY COST. "NO," he said, "NO EXTRA MONTHLY COSTS." He made sure I knew that if used data it would be the data from my monthly allowance but I figured I would just put it on airplane mode and use WIFI.

Lo and behold, the monthly bill arrives with a $40 activation fee and the surprise that that there's a $10 MONTHLY fee!

I AM LIVID!

THIS IS LAWSUIT WORTHY! HOW CAN YOU ALLOW YOUR ASSOCIATES TO BE SO DECEPTIVE?

This only adds to the fact that for a whole year I paid for the international plan that never worked for my parents and a month away from their upgrades we finally, after calling customer service six times for over 15 minutes each time, it was because they didn't have SIM cards--their phones were too old!

THEN WHY WASN'T I INFORMED? WHY WAS I PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS BOUND TO NOT WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE?

THAT IS CALLED A SCAM.

SHAME ON YOU, VERIZON!

Labels (1)
Re: ANGRY!!!
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

This is a huge problem, I agree. Verizon reps are never on the same page; you could call a few times all in one day and get completely different information each time. Nothing is ever consistent. While I'm sure you feel scammed and lied to and I wouldn't put it past some of them to do that, honestly I think that they just aren't trained enough to know better.

I'm guessing, based on the fact that you only paid $25 for the tablet that it's now on a 2 year contract? The only way to avoid the $10 monthly fee is to buy a Tablet at full price; or at least that's what I did when I bought mine a few years ago. That way I could remove it from my contract when I no longer needed it and avoid any fees.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done once a tablet is on contract; it's just like a phone in that you get charged for terminating early.

I do think Verizon needs to know though, that the inconsistencies are not acceptable. You asked the appropriate questions because it seemed fishy, as have we all, and then next thing you know what we were told was untrue and no one is held accountable.

For future reference, there are so many great apps that use Wi-Fi to stay in touch so that international plans seem pointless; WhatsApp and Skype are my two favorites.

This is just one of those times where you live and learn and seriously consider a different carrier; then you realize Verizon has the most coverage which just irks you even more.

VictoriaAngry
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree that while Verizon is the lesser of all evil phone carriers giving customers erroneous information is unacceptable. When pressured to meet rigorous sales goals, sales associates will stop at nothing. At the time the deal did not seem especially good to be true as in total I was spending almost one thousand dollars! I am a great customer that always pays the hefty bill on time despite their lack of communication on the issues with the international plan. Why wouldn't they throw in a little bonus?

Yes, I was told by the customer service representative on the phone that I was on a two year contract with said tablet. Imagine my dismay. I MADE IT CRYSTAL CLEAR THAT I WANTED NO MONTHLY EXTRAS AND NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Unfortunately, because because my parents are technologically illiterate and these apps(Whatsapp and Skype) require data or internet of some sort they are futile when running around in Mexico. As I live in a border area I cross between country lines often. There's no data international plan only minutes are available internationally. My family and I greatly depended on this EXPENSIVE plan that never worked for them and on occasion didn't work for me.

I agree the worst part to these ordeals is never getting straight, clear and consistent information and solutions to my problems. Not only am I wasting my money but my time as well!

Now I have to go back to the representative that was completely out of my way(more convenient for my parents but nor for me--the account owner/payer) to waste some more time with a probably less than ideal outcome.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we give you the right expectations VictoriaAngry! That does not sound like us at all.  I have sent  you a private message so I can further review your account.

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately, this is what can happen when you put your signature to something without reading it.

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

VictoriaAngry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Read what? The tiny print on the sales associate's tablet that he swipes through in a second?

There is such a thing as an oral contract. Not once in his whole explanation, a four hour process, of the tiny print was there any mention of a two year contract for the tablet.

Of course there would be such a clause. RIDICULOUS AND UNSCRUPULOUS!

Are there any phone companies that will not take advantage of its customers?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Tell me this....did you sign something without reading it?

There is no such thing as an oral contract. Unless it is written and signed it is not a contract. AAAAAAAND the last paragraph in the agreement states that.

I still don't know why people are just signing their name to something without reading it. You have every right to read it before you sign. Then you have every opportunity within the first 14 days to back out of it, paying the restocking fess of course. How can you blame someone else for your actions?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

VictoriaAngry wrote:

Read what? The tiny print on the sales associate's tablet that he swipes through in a second?

The tiny print which can be enlarged on the tablet which you could have yet did not ask to read??? Yes, THAT tiny print.

When asked to sign, simply state you cannot sign without reading the terms which the rep had "swiped through in a second."Smiley Happy

0 Likes
VictoriaAngry
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're damn straight I'm blaming someone else.  The city of Los Angeles currently sued Wells Fargo because its bankers were opening fraudulent accounts, credit cards and lying about fees without customer consent. SOME EVEN SIGNED CONTRACTS WHEN TRICKED THAT IT WAS FOR SOMETHING ELSE!! If the L.A. district attorney finds this deception to be wrong, then yes I can blame VERIZON's unethical standards.

It's not the sales associate I blame but the aggressive sales culture that Verizon has that pushes their sales associates to be dishonest and advantageous.

One builds rapport with the sales associates and trusts that we what they say is true.

Thank God for this lawsuit. It will set precedence for corporations like VERIZON to set their associates straight and walk a customer through the agreements process honestly and clearly!!!

0 Likes
VictoriaAngry
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep reading your threads that state you are not employed by Verizon. You definitely are.

I stand by my opinion if I ask multiple times to a VERIZON REPRESENTATIVE if the item has a monthly charge then I expect his answer to be the TRUTH--contract or not.

YOU WOULD THINK VERIZON WOULD WANT THEIR REPRESENTATIVES TO BE ETHICAL AND THAT THEY WOULD REPRIMAND ANY EMPLOYEE WHO WOULD TAINT THEIR NAME.

SHAME ON YOU FOR SAYING OTHERWISE!

0 Likes