$700 over payment... now past due?
pennygurl
Enthusiast - Level 2

ten year customer.... i made my $70 payment, but fat-fingered the amount, and actually paid $770.  so my account showed a $700 credit.  fabulous!  so the following month when the statement printed, they deducted my following month's charge of $70, and i had an account balance of $630; a credit owed to me.  i get my statement and think "$630 credit.  i'll call them and get that refunded"

ya know, i could totally pay the rent with that, so i called and said, hey maybe cut me a check for the remaining $630.  sure they said, we'll send that $630 check right out! 

then, less than 5 days later, i get the calls from collections saying my account is two months past due and i need to pay another $160 NOW or they will cancel my service.

so i call in and find out they haven't sent me a check for the balance ($630), but they HAVE reversed the entire payment instead.... they think.  the phone reps at version really can't tell me what form of payment the refund was made or where it was sent.  they don't know if a check was mailed.... they can't tell if an electronic payment was made.  they don't know how and they don't know the amount. 

what they DO know is that they will cancel my account in 7 days if i don't pay them another $160 immediately.

my bank says it will take 8-10 days to credit back IF they receive it due to the large amount of the refund. 

my question:  when a person makes a $700 overpayment to their account, what is the correct question to ask to get the balance refunded WITHOUT throwing one's account into collections?  if the representative would have said "hey, i see you made an overpayment, if we refund you, we'll turn you over to collections , we'll cancel your account before you have money to pay your bill and you'll have to shop for another account with sprint" i wold have at least been prepared to shop around.

what really should have happened?  i can't pay (my new) balance because the money hasn't been sent to my electronic account yet.  verizon wants to cancel my account because they say i'm past due since they refunded too much money, they say.

after being with verizon for a decade,  i can't imagine shopping for another plan, but i'm looking at less than a week before i need to port my number.  how can i resolve this situation?

and i still don't have my $700 back...... and i'm the bad guy.

what to do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: $700 over payment... now past due?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pennygurl,

I am so sorry to hear about this billing issue. We definitely want to make sure you receive your refund and get your account in good standing again. We do not want to see you go. Please private message me so we can make sure we work towards a resolution of this issue.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How To: Direct Message  and  lindseyt_vzw

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

The phone is not always your best option to contact Verizon on matters. I always tell people to go into the store or in fact call ahead to make sure you not have to wait in line and get your problem fixed in the store. For some reason the store has much better solutions for me. But to me if you had already paid them for two months before asking for a refund then to me it is your fault for not asking sooner about it all. You left it there after seeing for a whole month. To me if you want that back you should of acted when you first seen the issue. I do not understand why people blame Verizon for their own problems. Think they are a bank account? I do not mean to be rude but come on you said you noticed it a month earlier so to me it is your problem as that is the time you are waiting for the refund now. So to me you are to blame not Verizon.

pennygurl
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Waimon:  please re-read what i posted.... the problem is that Verizon is going to terminate my service in a week because they decided to return my entire payment.  it is not as if i had never paid them, in fact i OVERpaid them.... i simply wanted the remainder of the money back.  not the entire payment.... that would be silly!

i could not find anything in the contract that states that if a credit sits on your account for more than 30 days, it suddenly becomes the property of verizon and the customer can not get a credit balance refunded. 

@LindseyT_VZW:  thank you for reaching out, it has now been 9 days since verizon stated they sent the funds electronically back to my bank account and to date nothing has shown up.  what is the procedure for tracing these funds and what is the typical time frame for delivery?  perhaps it is simply the calls from collections that are making me a bit anxious over the situation.  that, and the late fee they tacked onto my bill, even though i wasn't late with my payment.....

curious

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

Actually I read it just fine. You said you noticed it right off and waited to ask for your money back. Why if you needed it? They may misunderstood what you asked of them. But waiting a month that is plenty of time to get your problem solved without having to blame a company that you made a mistake. Do not blame them because they misunderstood you get a grip and take responsibility on yourself for not addressing the problem when you first noticed it.

Not applicable

No, the poster noticed it on the next billing cycle and not at once.

Based on the $700 overpayment Verizon took the $70 out for that next month.

When they asked for the overpayment of $630 Verizon in their error refunded $700 which then threw them in arrears for $70.

Additionally Verizon now jerked them around not to refund the credit balance. But instead demanded payment for an error on their part via refunding too much back.

This is not the original posters problem. However 9 days later no refund back to her bank because Verizon is once again shining the customer on. It does not take 10 days to electronically place money back into an account that was charged instantly. It is just a reversal of overpayment.

Could the customer contact their bank and had it reversed instantly more than likely. That is what I would have done. My Amex credits me in seconds this way no messing around pulling teeth to get your over payment from Verizon.

For right now I would simply call the bank for a reversal credit, pay the balance owed to Verizon and be more careful in the future.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pennygurl,

I am sorry you have not received the refund back. To further investigate this issue I would need to be able to access the account and review the full details of the situation. We want to make sure you receive you money back. I did send a follow request so you could private message me but it seems it has been denied. If you could please private message me so we can get to the bottom of this situation.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pennygurl
Enthusiast - Level 2

wonder of wonders, a full 10 days after verizon said the credit had been electronically issued, the refund has posted to my bank account.  now, i can go back and pay the original amount.... we'll see how soon this new payment posts so the collections department can stop calling....