$30 "Upgrade" Fee: Come on Verizon
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

I am a two year customer of Verizon and found out the following:
To get my new Samsung android phone I was going to get a great deal for just $50 and it looked like a sweet phone, signed on the line and brought it home despite the 2 year commitment when for my first contract it was only one. Not as nice as my Droid 1 but good enough. I then noticed that Verizon was going to charge me $30 to sign a contract? Wait a minute full stop. When you slaughter a pig, do you then make it baste and cook itself? How did any sane customer sign on the line to pay a company to have me sign a contract with them? Then it hit me, this is really just a way to jack up their prices on unsuspecting customers. I called customer service and explained the situation and they gave me a credit of $30. Moral of the story...Verizon was looked at by the FTC for padding their bills, trying to charge us a convenience charge just to pay your bill and now this sneaky little $30 charge. Watch your bill carefully or better yet find another service provider. Verizon used to be a great company. Now like many others they will do anything for a buck at the cost of being open honest and providing value to their customers.

Labels (1)
Re: $30 "Upgrade" Fee: Come on Verizon
CHICHI-3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I completely agree. We are charged a fee for every minute used, every message sent and every line we add. Every addition places more revenue in the pockets of Verizon stockholders, but in this economy, this is not really wise.

I will shop longer and harder. I will check the competitors a little more closely. This is an unfair and unwise business maneuver, charging me to give you more of my money.

You WILL make money in the short run, but in the long run, I predict Verizon will lose business and surely reputability.

I am disappointed with VERIZON.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And yet, Sprint and AT&T charge a $36 fee for the same previlege of renewing a contract with them. They have been doing the upgrade fee for much longer. I think T-Mobile also charges an upgrade fee, but I am not sure of the details.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jenschultz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah Im a bit disappointed too! I went to upgrade my phone today and was told about it. Verizon has provided great service for me over the years but I also think we pay a little more to have it. Verizon please stop with the nickel and dime. I've had you guys for 10+ years and if you are going to start doing this then you may loose me as a customer!

Keitarou
Contributor - Level 1

Again, just because everyone else does it, Verizon doesn't have to do it. I don't understand why people keep using that as an excuse for this fee. I know Verizon is in the business to make money. Everyone should be able to make money. But their reason for the fee is wrong. Workshops?? Come on. That's just insulting us. Tell us it's for the 4G towers costing billions. Tell us it's to maintain the wide coverage or the high cost of phones. Don't tell us it's workshops. Phones costing too much money, change your price. Oh, then you're too expensive compared to others? Well Verizon is already expensive but people pay for that "premium" service. Some will pay for the premium again.

Other providers charging same fee isn't important. It's that Verizon is charging the fee as well without any additional benefit to the customer. Give us 5 gigs of data more for the additional $30 then it's different. Workshops? WORKSHOPS?

ErnestT815
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, the $30 dollar charge is stupid, I have 9 lines and pay out the rearend every month, I just updated 3 phones one droid 4 and two iphone S, my bill was close to $1000 with accsesories and then they have the nerve to charge an additional $30 per phone, when my contract expires I may not renew

notarep
Contributor - Level 3

We mention the fact that everyone else does it to prove a point. Its not going away, complaining is a waste of time, if you're really serious about leaving, coming on to a forum and threatening to leave is not going to do anything. Alot of these complaints sound alot like my first relationship. "IF YOUR NOT CHANGING THEN I'M LEAVING!!!" hahahaha

0 Likes
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

Can anyone spot the Troll in this conversation? Posting on the forum does contribute to making a difference. It raises Verizon customer’s awareness of problems with the service and if we all complain change happens. Take the little convenience charge that Verizon foisted off on us. It was in point of fact a $24 rate hike hidden from the consumers. Once we started talking about it the customer service lines lit up like a Christmas tree and lo and behold Verizon scrapped the idea. Now Verizon is trying to hide a rate hike on their consumers again.  It does not matter that other companies are doing the same thing, most of us like Verizon under normal circumstances until they fail at serving the customer which is what we are paying them for. I wonder how much stock certain people have purchased of Verizon, what store they work for or possibly who is paying them to blog?

ncoclub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with you 100%  Igovirginmobile....I was going wait last month a few weeks to buy my new phone because of my discount for being a loyal customer. When I found out about the rate increase ON THIS FORUM I decided to buy my new phone early. I also bought my new phone on-line, thus saving the cost of the "activation fee" Verizon charges as well. Setting up my new phone was quick and easy. I ended up saving around $50 because of this forum!! Thanks to all of you who posted it. I used the savings to buy a memory card and a nice case!!!!Smiley Happy

0 Likes
InTenSityX
Enthusiast - Level 2

And yet Sprint and ATT cancel the fee as soon as you call in and complain. Again this is megacorporations nickel and diming their loyal customers. Didn't Verizon just make 2 or 3 billion, in profit? $1 billion dollars is 20k $50k a year jobs. Yet they feel the need to charge the consumer an extra $30 to cover some classes that no one cares about?