SmartHub as home phone.
ybkvw

I am testing a new SmartHub with Verizon SIM card from my iPhone.

Data works perfectly but there are problems with phone. I can dial a number and answer incoming calls but nobody can hear me. Handset has been taken from a working T2000 home phone device.

Incoming caller ID number display is garbled - in most cases several more digits appended to an incoming number making automatic call back function on a handdset useless.

The same muted calls and corrupted caller ID numbers are observed on two separate new SmartHub devices.

Does SmartHub really support home telephone functionality? Has anyone been able to use it for voice? I am using my Verizon SIM in a T2000 and it works flawlessly.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SmartHub as home phone.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ybkvw,

The SmartHub does support high-speed internet and voice calls. https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-services/smarthub/  It is not recommend to simply take a SIM card from a smartphone and insert it in to this device. There are specific features that need to be added to allow the SmartHub to work. You will need a dedicated line set up properly to fully utilize this device. Here is a link on adding a new line: https://www.verizon.com/support/add-a-new-device/

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
ybkvw

I would like to avoid new line. I can put my Verizon SIM in both, Verizon T2000 and US Cellular ZTE MF275U home bases and voice just works. I am trying to find a replacement for T2000 because transmitted sound quality is not great. ZTE MF275U is somewhat better but it is not a VoLTE device. Incoming calls take longer to connect.

What is so special and/or broken in SmartHub?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ybkvw, to learn more about the SmartHub and to read the reviews visit https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-services/smarthub/

0 Likes
ybkvw

Thank you for the link, I was aware of it. No explanation why outgoing calls are muted. I borrowed a number of different Verizon home routers and all accepted my phone SIM card and calls worked flawlessly.

What is so special in SmartHub that it does not accept iPhone SIM?

Was it done on purpose to force users pay for second line instead of using existing mobile line SIM at home like allowed by other Verizon home routers?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate those details, ybkvw. You can use the same SIM Card you use in an iPhone, with the SmartHub device. Also, the SmartHub device will need its own line to work properly. It cannot share a line with another device. We hope this information provides clarity. CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
ybkvw

I apologize, I still don't understand what exactly needs to be done to be able to use arbitrary Verizon SIM card in SmartHub and have outgoing voice not muted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Can you please describe the obstacles that you are running into?

KerryC_VZW

0 Likes
ybkvw

My obstacle is muted outgoing calls, I described earlier in great details.

I can hear callers, but they can't hear me. The same SIM card works fine in T2000, T1114 and ZTE-MF275U.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details, ybkvw. We'd like to troubleshoot this issue with your Smarthub. Please send us a private note. 

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes