Kindle Fire using inordinate amounts of data
hamerlj
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Kindle Fire is using an inordinate amount of data (up to 1.5 gig per day). I have turned off Alexa. I have deleted cache. I don't stream. It is mostly used for reading, twitter, fb and email. I cannot see which apps are using only which are running. Need help or will have to move to Hughesnet. No other internet options (radio tower, etc) are available in my area.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Kindle Fire using inordinate amounts of data
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried turning off the cellular data connection?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hamerlj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not sure what you are referencing. My kindle fire is not cellular activated. It uses the wireless connection through the Verizon smarthub. If I turn this off, I will not have access to twitter or facebook.

To answer your question, I have turned the wireless off when not in use and also have time restriction on the smart hub for late night. It is still using up to a gig per day when it is turned on. It makes absolutely no sense. My husband has a comparable fire which is also using data but not to the extent. As mentioned previously, I am not streaming.

0 Likes
danieller_vzw
Verizon Employee

It's important your data usage is calculating correctly, hamerlj. Devices that were designed to be connected will pull data when in use. 1.5GB is low amount of data usage. What do you use your Kindle for on a regular day? What else is connected to your smarthub?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hamerlj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, Danielle,

Yes I understand that. I am logging directly in to my smarthub using the URL. I can see each device and what it has used of the data plan under the Data Usage section. This Kindle has used 7.8 gb month to date vs my Windows 10 PC which has used 4.0gb. I have a 40gb plan. I have to "turn off" the wireless on this Kindle to make sure it doesn't eat up any more data. When on it uses up to a gb per day. I am trying to find out how that is possible when I don't stream. I download a book every once it a while but nothing in the period when the greatest gb was used.

0 Likes
georges_vzw
Verizon Employee

Managing data use is desirable, to say the least, hamerlj. You’re on the right track with the steps you’ve already taken. The next step is to determine what’s causing the Kindle to use 1.5 GB of data per day. I did some research and found an app that Amazon offers that I believe will help you a great deal. Here’s more information: https://www.amazon.com/My-Data-Manager-Usage/dp/B0055ILRN6 Let us know your thoughts.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hamerlj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks George . Unfortunately this app isn't compatible for the kindle fire.

0 Likes
hamerlj
Enthusiast - Level 1

What options are you looking at? We are in literally a deadzone. It is a wireless hub or Hughesnet. No other alternatives.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Likes
ANDD6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be switching to hard-wired internet provided by a competitor.  I feel for you, it's unfortunate that they have you over a barrel.

As for me, this means that I will have to start paying for internet out of my own pocket, right now the company I work for covers the cost along with my phone.

But frankly, it will be worth it because Verizon is running a massive scam on its customers.  I began with AirTouch Cellular back in 1996 and remained blindly loyal to this company for way too long.  Can't wait to switch.

0 Likes