When will we have Content filtering on 4GLTE devices?
Bryteday

Content filtering is NOT available on 4GLTE devices AND the majority of new smartphones have locked boot-loaders so root access is not possible.  Since root is not possible we are currently unable to redirect DNS request to a content filtering DNS site and unable to use most apps that could allow us to content filter for ourselves as they require root.

Verizon does not allow us to content filter NOR does Verizon allow us to content filter for ourselves.

A simple solution would be for Verizon to partner with OpenDNS and use OpenDNS servers as DNS.  Boom! Problem solved, content filtering for all.

When will we have Content filtering on 4GLTE devices?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When will we have Content filtering on 4GLTE devices?
Bryteday

Important note: This has been an issue since Verizon rolled out 4G LTE service nearly two years ago so it is long overdue.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon does not want you to root your phone. PERIOD. So yes bootloaders will remain locked.

0 Likes
Bryteday

If Verizon wants to keep the phone locked that's understandable but then they either need provide the content filters that they say they've been working on for the last two years OR allow for the consumer to redirect DNS to a content filtering provider.

0 Likes
sjens

This feature is WAY overdue. Don't tell me Apple and Verizon don't have the resources to figure it out. They just don't care.

0 Likes
ech1253
Enthusiast - Level 1

Despite what I have read here from Verizon posts, they DO care... They just care MORE about targeted ad revenue by selling our DNS queries while on their network, than about the SAFETY of minors with Verizon devices...  Adding OpenDNS Umbrella (for example) as a (paid) service to FamilyBase would be a seamless approach without user intervention and it's available TODAY...  I don't think most reasonable customers are expecting such a service, that protects their children, to be at no additional charge...  Verizon just chooses to "own" all DNS lookups so they can sell our web activity to the highest bidder...

0 Likes
Krucker
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still looking for an answer to this problem.  And yes, it is a problem that Verizon offers NO content filtering solution for Apple 4G LTE phones.  I can't believe they don't know how to do this, so why the delay in providing a solution?  Perhaps if we utilize social media to garner attention to this concern, they will take notice?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It would be great to have more options like content filtering on smartphones, but with the way the technology works and how many easy ways there are to get around blocks it's probably not going to happen, especially with how many people are using their phones nowadays on wifi.

Since carrier content filters only work on the carriers network and preferred programs, all one would need to do is connect to a Wifi network to bypass a filter. This is really easy to do with the prevalence of Wifi hotspots. Another way people can bypass filters is to download a free/3rd party alternate web browser that isn't affected by a carrier's filter program on the smartphone to get around any blocks.

Unfortunately the only way to ensure a phone is restricted is to have a basic phone using a carriers content filtering feature.

Krucker
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks deloused, but I'm still not convinced that it's impossible - it's apparently just not financially advantageous for Verizon to implement a solution.  I understand the Wi-Fi work-around, but I am a parent, and I have secure content filtering for my home Wi-Fi network so my kids can't access stuff they shouldn't.  Can they go next door, yes.  Can they go somewhere else where they can gain access to something they shouldn't?  Sure.  But I can atleast control what happens under my roof....and my neighbor's kids can rest assured that's the case a well.  BUT, without content filtering on smartphones, I can't even do that.  Plus, it's possible to use a smartphone as a hotspot itself.  If I had known more about technology to check into this before I invested in iPhones for my kids, I wouldn't have chosen them.  It just bothers me that Verizon apparently doesn't care about my concern enough to address it.

Again, perhaps a social media push will generate some action.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I totally understand, it's definitely worth a try as it would be a totally awesome feature to have for parents, or even businesses. I agree, it is likely a monetary investment situation where they're considering the cost vs payout as you mentioned.

I also think it has a lot to do with how easy it is to bypass filters, which would open up a new can of worms with people complaining when they find out they were bypassed. What I meant with the bypass options, even with your wifi at home having a secure content filter active on it here are just some ways your kids could even bypass that-

1) Access a blocked site from a search engine cache.

2) Connect to a blocked site via HTTPS vs. HTTP so a content filter can't decrypt the request.

3) Use an IP address instead of a URL to view items that a filter would have blocked.

4) Access proxy websites instead of the website a filter is blocking.

5) Adjust a device's proxy settings to access blocked content via Internet ports that are not able to be filtered.

6) Install Filter Avoidance Applications

7) Use a non standard browser that bypasses filters.

Definitely some extra steps to take but If someone wants to access inappropriate content by getting around a filter they easily can regardless of the program, which I'm sure factors into a decision I offer such a feature. For example, I work for a fortune 500 company that has thousands of employee's, they spend a lot on Internet security and even though they also have content filtering on computers, laptops and cell phones it is surprisingly easy to bypass on each device.

0 Likes