Smart Family and Instagram not working
themccormicksgb

So we have Smart Family and I mostly use it to monitor/limit night/school usage for my 12 year old daughter.  She has an Instagram that is highly monitored by her mom and me.  She has no other social media (that we know of).  That said, when on WiFi with the Smart Family VPN, Instagram is very slow to respond (pictures won't load, slowly load, glitchy).  If we shut off WiFi and go to Cellular data, it works fine.  I figure it has to be something with the Router (provided by Verizon)???

Help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smart Family and Instagram not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry that you are experiencing issues with the Instagram application on your daughter's phone when connected to WiFi. You indicate that service is fine when you disable WiFi on her phone and connects to Instagram with cellular data. This is an indication that there are no issues to resolve with your Verizon Wireless service.

You contacted the Verizon Wireless forums and you need assistance with Verizon residential services. Please contact the Verizon residential support team as per this link (http://spr.ly/6587DY1E3) for assistance.

Antonio_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vukodlak75
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is not a good answer. I too have an issue. The VPN network that Verizon utilizes for Smart Family does not work well on WiFi networks. When installing the companion app it creates a vpn network. That works fine on cellular. But as soon as the phone connects to wifi the internet slows down drastically. Verizon really needs to test this out better. It is unacceptable for a paid service.

DGIRL1010
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m having the exact same issue with my 11 y/o son. Instagram is the only social app we’ve allowed and it’s highly monitored by me.  Why can’t Verizon just answer the questions? Very frustrating. I’m ready to just cancel the service.

kchilds72
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son has the problem of Instagram ad all other social media not working since I installed the companion app on his phone. My daughters have the same model phone and no problems, but his will not load anything- and it also keeps turning the vpn on and off on it's own and randomly disconnecting him from wifi.

This same phone had issues pairing in the beginning with the smart family app. I am tired of hearing him complain about it- please let me know if you have found a solution, or should I just take it off his phone? I just wanted to set time limits at night, and set data limits.

kchilds72
Enthusiast - Level 2

did you figure anything out yet?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see your son enjoy his phone while you still have the peace of mind with the limits. Is this only affecting the use while on WiFi like in the original post? What model is his phone? 

Yale_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BALMINGILEAD

My son's Samsung J3 will only load images on Instagram over WiFi, when he opens the app using data, he gets the "image cannot load" error.  He has the Smart Family app on his phone, and we use it to control internet usage in the evening hours.  He has tried deleting and re-installing the Instagram app, but that hasn't made a difference.

0 Likes
mich0806b

This is an infuriating reply.

SMART FAMILY IS A VERIZON WIRELESS APP AND A PAID SERVICE.

This rep shunted off this question. It needs to be answered.

0 Likes
ryanm_vzw
Verizon Employee

It's vital that your Smart Family service is working properly, mich0806b. We want the controls that this feature gives you to work flawlessly. Can you let us know specifically what issues you are having? Are you having issues with Safe Wi-Fi as well?

Ryan_VZW

0 Likes