Smart Family Location Issue
sandersII
Enthusiast - Level 1

We use Verizon Smart Family and have an issue with getting notifications that our daughter arrives and leaves school constantly throughout the day. And no, she isn't leaving. One day I was in the room with her and it said she arrived at school and about four seconds later than she left school. She was sitting still. Sometimes we'll get four or five within a minute or two.

Her high school isn't huge, I can't imagine it's because she's moving from one part of the building to another, especially since it happens when she isn't even moving. Any suggestions?

Re: Smart Family Location Issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sandersll, 

Knowing where your child is provides peace of mind, and I'm sorry the feature has not been giving accurate notifications. I thank you for the details you've provided. Help is here. When was the last time the notifications were accurate, and how long has this been an issue? Describe what happens when you attempt to locate the device from the application.

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
craigtone

I have the same problem.  My son's phone has been in the kitchen all day with ~68% battery life.  I have gotten about 10 alerts today that he has left and arrived from Home.  I can see the location of his phone in the app just fine.  The incorrect alerts make the app completely useless!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. For location accuracy concerns we need you to complete these steps and report how it works: 

1. Confirm the parent device is paired with the companion device that you are attempting to locate.

2. Ensure the companion/parent device you want to locate is powered on with a data connection.

3. Make sure the location accuracy on the device settings is set to "Always on" (iOS) or "high" (Android).

Android: http://spr.ly/6605EW22c

iOS: http://spr.ly/6607EW22l

4. Check the Smart Family Companion app has access to device location set to "Always".

5. Validate the background app refresh is on for the child/parent (iOS) device you are trying to locate.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
KeithClarkHoyos

If I have a limit on their data, and they have exceeded it, will this stop working?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is exactly correct. Once the allowed threshold has been exhausted, the device will no longer be allowed to access data on our the VZW Network. However, if WI-FI is available, the device can still access data.

Does this provide clarity?

VeronicaM_VZW

0 Likes
tsigel
Enthusiast - Level 2

It reveals yet another flaw in the plan. They reach their data limit, and you no longer have any idea where they are. So if a child decides to skip school, you're out of luck. They can even just turn off the Verizon VPN (easily done) and completely disconnect from the plan. They can also install their own VPN to make the plan useless. Unless your child is very young or not technologically proficient, the plan is worthless. 

tsigel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have all of the above in place. My children are asleep in their rooms. The App says my son is at home. It says my daughter is a half a mile away.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer, your concerns are our concerns too. We certainly want our customers to enjoy the Smart Family feature and we're here to help in any way we can. It's very important that this feature works correctly for all of our customers. The information shared in this forum by our community members is very much appreciated. We're also here to help our customers with any concerns they may have about Smart Family. Let's continue working together. -  RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Rms49

On the location it says where it was 3 hours ago but not where it is now

0 Likes