Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,644 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Restrict Wifi with Family Base app
jopadams
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a suggestion for the next Family Base release. It would be helpful to be able to restrict or turn off Wifi in the Time Restrictions. I currently have phone, text, and data restrictions in place for "school hours", but there's no way to restrict or turn off Wifi. At school, my child is able to connect to another child's hotspot and use that Wifi connection to access the internet. At home, I've setup Wifi restrictions on my router, but I have no way to control Wifi outside of my home network.

Labels (1)
Re: Restrict Wifi with Family Base app
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jopadams, we appreciate your feedback on our FamilyBase feature. Verizon FamilyBase makes it easier for account owners and parents to manage the devices on their account with:

• Parental controls; content filtering, app blocking and website restrictions that work over cellular and Wi-Fi.
• Usage controls; data targets, minute limits, text limits, time restrictions and the ability to block contacts.

The following parental controls (supported over Wi-Fi and Cellular) require FamilyBase Companion app (Android) or iOS Mobile Device Manager:

• App blocking
• Website restrictions
• On-demand Internet pausing
• Content filters

So for what you are looking to accomplish, this may be just what you are looking for. For more information, click here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/family-base/

TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Carmelle
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is not true, Verizon Customer Support.   Restrictions set only effect the phones if they are on Verizon Wireless Network.   I literally just got off the phone with a Verizon Tech and we tested it.   I checked the box to restricts Gambling, drugs, etc.   My daughter went online and went to gambling.com and the site popped up.   We did the same with You Tube Video restriction.  The Verizon Tech put me on a brief hold and came back and told me that the restrictions do not go into effect over wifi, even if is it Verizon internet.    As a side note, the content was blocked when my daughter was on our VPN, but that doesn't help me control things when she is out of my house.      I am having a hard time justifying the monthly cost for this service.   The only good thing is that I don't accrue additional monthly charges for data overage because this app shuts off data access all together once the monthly limit has been met.  However Verizon has given customers the option to switch from 4G to 3G once this data limit has been met without accruing additional charges. 

MELLIVESAY

I agree; I had controls set up and thought I had my teens couldn't watch TV late at night, etc.  Well then I found out they can still use wifi with controls.  Most teens do their texting over apps and wifi, so it does not control texts as advertised.  I would love this control limit.

0 Likes
JDuganIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

Absolutely true! This “control” really isn’t controlling what it claims to & having to restrict WiF at home through my router isn’t utilizing this program to “restrict” my child’s useage on their individual phone, it’s restricting WiFi at my house!

Overall, I have not seen enough of a benefit to keep it past the 30 day trial .....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JDuganIII, having control over what your family can do on their devices is important. Fortunately, FamilyBase provides a convenient solution to meet your needs. I understand the restrictions are not applying correctly, let's look into resolving this for you. Have you verified that FamilyBase is provisioned properly on your devices? Are the restrictions not applying on only one line or multiple lines? For your benefit, our resource for FamilyBase can be found here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-familybase-faqs/

LorenzoP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MELLIVESAY

Again, even after I put the companion app on my kids phones; I could only restrict the times for texts and calls.  I could NOT turn off their data usage every night.  BUMMER.  I've spent hours trying to solve this, went to store, and.... Don't waist your money or time!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand wanting to take full control, MELLIVESY. We have made Upgrades to our Verizon Family Base feature, and added a catchy name to go with it. Our Verizon Smart Family Premium feature has added the ability to pause the internet, this allows our customers to have full control of there families internet usage.
CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
BSNCLR
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use Norton Family on line parental control.  You have to download the able to all device to "control it".  I love it.  The parent can control types of searches, content, apps, and most importanly time.  There is a time control where you can set up times for the device to be used.  If a user tries to use the device within the time limits you have set up for them NOT TO USE, the app will block it  -- NO MATTER WHAT - network you are on - Wifi, DATA plans.   There is even an instant lock feature you can use for immdiate block.

Callynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the info! I'm going to check out Norton's family app. Not being able to restrict my teenager's wifi useage (especially at night) makes Family Base definitely less useful.

0 Likes