Family base vpn issue on school wifi
FISHEAGLE99

I want to be able to block access to cellular data when allowed Gb has been used up.

I don’t see how I can do that without the VPN connection.  And the VPN is keeping him from accessing school WiFi  even though it’s an allowable website. Using family base with iPhone 7

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family base vpn issue on school wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FISHEAGLE99,

Managing data usage is a big part of the FamilyBase function, so we definitely want it to work properly. You can set up a limit for the data usage on an enrolled line using the steps shown on this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-familybase/#set-data-target . However, we're unsure what you're referring to regarding the VPN connection as that's not related to the FamilyBase service. Please provide more information regarding what you're experiencing.

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
FISHEAGLE99

ShawnteJ_VZW

I want to block snap chat, you tube and Instagram from accessing cel data at all times.

Also I want to be able to block access to cellular data when data allowance has been used up (Only allowing phone and text message)  (I know how to do it!) but doing so creates a VPN on my kids iPhone after downloading family base app (VPN icon is showing in upper left corner of phone)

This VPN is keeping kid from accessing school WiFi.

if we manually turn the VPN off it turns itself back on a few minutes later.

How can we turn VPN off and have it stay off ??

and will doing so disable all family base control settings ???

We are Using family base with iPhone 7

0 Likes
JAMHOO16

Im having same issue - two children with iphones on my family base account, but it blocks their use of wifi at home and elsewhere when it should not be doing so.  Their settings will tell them they are connected to wifi, but there are no signall bars.  We turn off the VPN in settings but it pops back on. The issue is also intermittent.  I have been on VZ chats twice tryting to resolve this, and both times they assert that this is  not a VZ issue - and I can see from other inquiries here that this is happening to others.  I'm about ready to cancel family time, but presume that this is a glitch with VZ that needs to be resolve or start loosing business.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JAMHOO16, 

We understand how important it is to manage your child's data. I use FamilyBase myself. Let's get to the bottom of this issue. How long has this been going on? You mentioned this issue is intermittent. Are the two iPhones able to connect to WIFI sometimes? Does it matter when they are at a limit set by Familybase? Are there any other Android or other devices set up on your FamilyBase?

JenelleR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TMORPH

Having the same issue.  Just activated FamilyBase and now when trying to get on home WiFi it automatically turns on VPN and the phone won't connect to the network.  Turning off VPN only results in it turning right back on again.  This is a new iPhone 8 on IOS11.

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having the ability to connect to your VPN. We're here to assist please respond to the private message we sent you, so we can look into this further.

JoelD_VZW

0 Likes
MATHAR25
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem. How do we work around this because otherwise my kids can get on WiFi and have to use data.

DevineMrsT

Me too. Looks like Vz isn't giving us a solution to the problem.

0 Likes
PHARMKC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem Smiley Sad

0 Likes