Re: Family base content control shuts down data and wifi
SLCTaylor
Enthusiast - Level 1

FamilyBase *used* to be a good service.  I had the ability to turn data off and on at a moment's notice for any reason I saw fit.  That option is gone now.  I can suspect service, but that shuts off calls and texts too.  Now, the limitations don't even work right because you get an error message if you try to select a limit higher than your "official" plan amount....(we have a 16GB, but we get 10GB of bonus data every month).  I want to set limits based on what we actually get.  Also, if you happen to be late in your billing cycle and your child has already used more than the "official" plan amount, you can't change the limit because the limit has to be higher than what they have already used.  Sure, I get a weekly e-mail telling me about their texts and calls, but I can look that up in Usage details. 

FamilyBase is now worthless.  Time to find a new carrier that understands what parents actually want and use.  Too bad...they had it, and just couldn't leave it alone.

DAVHAT91

Same issue here.

0 Likes
hcfish
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this problem also. I was able to connect to our home wifi however Instagram won't load pictures even though I've allowed the app. Do I have to allow all the objectionable websites for IG to work?? That seems ridiculous. Cool new features to the new FamilyBase however it has had so many issues in installing/ using it.  Wish we had the option to still utilize the old FamilyBase still.

CGFam
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are also having issues with data and the family base app. When we are away from our wifi my son's phone does not work on mobile data at all. He doesn't have social media but viewing anything that requires internet: YouTube, Google search, nothing works. His data limit is not reached and we tried unrestricting it. Permissions are allowed for YouTube.. I reset network settings and everything works fine without family Base paired to his phone so we know his phone isn't the problem..

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to access the internet is a must. Let's get this figured out. Does this happen while he is connected to Wi-Fi too? Are any of the other devices on the account impacted as well?

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kchilds72
Enthusiast - Level 2

CGfam- did you ever figure anything out? My 3 kids all have the same phone but only one of them has this problem.. issues with no social media loading, no internet, wifi turns itself off, etc its getting crazy, and I have no restrictions other than DATA limits and TIME restrictions, which seem to act screwy on all 3 phones at times.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kchilds72, I'm sorry to hear you've been having similar issues with your children and them being able to access data. I see you mentioned Time Restrictions are enabled. Have you confirmed the restrictions you've set are for times you want your child to be denied access to data? I've used Smart Family myself, and I did make the mistake of putting in the time controls to restrict when my son could use data vs. when I didn't want him to use it. In case you need it, here's the FAQ page for Smart Family. If you go to the section on Limits and look at question #1, you can get a recap of how to set the Time Limits: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-smart-family-faqs/

Have you also tried removing controls from one of the lines, and seeing if the problems are occurring even after the controls were removed?

John_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RMCPHIE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting development -- I found out Instagram images will load if I also unblock Facebook and Messenger on the Social Media tab of Smart Family.  I switched that setting on and off and it made Instagram images work and not work, so I know that setting is correlated.

Not ideal, but at least it's a workaround.

0 Likes