Can I Block Texts From bit.ly?
glenmyers

Is there a way to block texts coming from "bit.ly"?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Block texts from bit.ly
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you go to My Verizon, My Plan & Services, Blocks, have you tried clicking Block Emails and Domains and then entering www.bitly.com in the box under E-mail Address or Domain and clicking Save?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is an option to block text messages from the web in your MyVerizon account online.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Korshavn

I just got off the phone with tech support. Apparently the bit.ly people use a rolling phone number, so the verizon fix of sending them the message,  they investigate and if it's determined to be spam they block it, won't work. One of the largest communications companies in the world is going to let it's customers get bullied because they can't figure out how to handle this . Pretty sad. Come on Verizon, step up and find a fix. Then use it in your marketing. A safer texting environment.

0 Likes
tcad
Contributor - Level 1

If they use a rolling phone # (different each time) there is no way to block them just as they can't block phone calls from rolling numbers.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they are coming from a website which is what bit.ly is, you can BLOCK messages from the web through your MyVerizon account online.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Glenmyers, I completely understand how annoying those spam messages can be from websites. I would definitely look into our spam blocking feature here >> http://vz.to/2d5zsLs  We want to bring your frustration to an end. let us know if this helps.

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Andersj1218

I tried to block the bit.ly texts using the directions above without success. The Verizon Block Calls and Messages tab will not accept anything I put in the phone number block as an invalid phone number.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you go to My Verizon, My Plan & Services, Blocks, have you tried clicking Block Emails and Domains and then entering www.bitly.com in the box under E-mail Address or Domain and clicking Save?

0 Likes
wellesj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Blocking a domain works when there is no phone number, as in the case w/ bit.ly

Sign In 

0 Likes
iPhoneHelpDave

Here is what I just did (for iPhone users)...go to settings/messages....scroll down and turn on Filter Unknown Senders. It will turn off notifications from unknown senders and sort them into a different folder.  This in available on iOS 10.

0 Likes