texting on a cruise - what charges?
rayofsunshine
We are on a cruise through the alaska inside passage and my son is texting his girlfriend nonstop.  "My Verizon" shows quite a few "Global Phone - text" types on his account.  Is this going to be expensive?  His phone is displaying "extended network" and occassionally "roaming." 
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: texting on a cruise - what charges?
risu
Contributor - Level 3

I believe it depends on your cruiseline.  They have their own towers on their liners, so you will be roaming when you're connected through their tower.

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hello and welcome.   It may well also be through ACS (Alaska Communications Systems).    They are the largest CDMA local network in Alaska and Verizon has a roaming partnership with them.    It's still in the United States so it's not International Roaming.   Hopefully, you have a separate texting package or text coverage in your basic plan.   If not . . . yeah . . . this could get pricey :smileysad:.     Best thing to do is simply call Verizon right now and confirm what coverage you have.    In a worst case scenario if you had no texting package then NOW is the time to ask for them to backward blanket you with a retroactive full texting package right now while you're still in your billing cycle.

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

A texting plan will only cover him for the roaming texts.  Anything else will still be be billed to his account depending on the cruise line's rates.

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Preciesly why they need to make sure they're at least covered by a texting plan in the first place!   It's going to be even worse with no plan or an insufficient plan.   They can at least make sure THAT portion of the texting is covered.   At least "these people" will appreciate that aspect of it.

The OP didn't state what cruise line they're on so we have no way of knowing what rates they have.   However, they did post their question in the Verizon forum and at best we can at least make sure Verizon has them as covered as best can be.   It's kinda what we do here :smileyhappy:

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

True enough!  I was just trying to clarify :smileyvery-happy: 

I think its .50 cents for sent and .05 cents for received on most cruise lines.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
For 99% of cruise ships the charge will be the same for text messaging. 50 cents to send a message and 5 cents to receive a message. Calls from cruise ships are much worse, $2.49 a minute!! Absurd.
0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3
That's why you're better off leaving the phone at home, or at least turned off and in your luggage. :smileyvery-happy:
0 Likes
rayofsunshine

We are on Norwegian Cruiselines, and our verizon plan is for unlimited texting.  I'm hoping that I am reading the responses correctly; unlimited texting should be covering the texts while on the cruise?  Boy I hope so!  The boy will not be getting allowance next few months if it's different!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

NO!!! Texting on the cruise ship is not included. NOT INCLUDED. You will be charged 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive messages. Stop texting now. 

0 Likes