receiving text messages
marymayberry

I have a blackberry storm 2 and cannot seem to get my text messages.  I can send them and know that people are getting them, but I can't retrieve any of their responses.  Can anybody help me?  I've looked through the user manual, checked online, etc.  I know it has to be easy, but I can't find them or see them.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: receiving text messages
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Try a simple battery pull. Pop out your battery for 30 seconds, put it back in and let the device reboot. Test it by sending a text message to yourself. So you'll send a text message TO your own phone number. This tests not only the sending capability, but also the receiving capability of the phone.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

If nmchileman's suggestion did not work, then try to do *228 + send from your verizon phone.Press option 2.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

*228; a common suggestion, however it holds no real troubleshooting value. Especially option #2.

Option #2 only updates your PRL, which only helps if you're traveling outside your home area.

Option #1 updates the PRL plus programs your phone number, MIN and SID. This has no value because the phone should already be programmed with this information.

The only reason *228 is thought to help with troubleshooting is because after the programming is successful it causes the phone to reboot. It's actually the rebooting process that fixes most issues.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nmchileman wrote:

*228; a common suggestion, however it holds no real troubleshooting value. Especially option #2.

Option #2 only updates your PRL, which only helps if you're traveling outside your home area.

Option #1 updates the PRL plus programs your phone number, MIN and SID. This has no value because the phone should already be programmed with this information.  Things have recently changed....Option 1 is now used to activate a phone and/or reprogram and Option 2 updates the PRL.  I haven't figured out if Option 1 updates the PRL as well...there is no more Option 3.

The only reason *228 is thought to help with troubleshooting is because after the programming is successful it causes the phone to reboot. It's actually the rebooting process that fixes most issues.  And you can do this with a battery pull  :smileyhappy:

There's another thread on the *228 changes....

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Cell-Phone-General-Devices/swapping-phones/m-p/172686#M27387

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

nmchileman wrote:

Option #1 updates the PRL plus programs your phone number, MIN and SID. This has no value because the phone should already be programmed with this information.

The only reason *228 is thought to help with troubleshooting is because after the programming is successful it causes the phone to reboot. It's actually the rebooting process that fixes most issues.

I've had some issues in the pasted with using mobile IM. One example would be I couldn't sign on & would get the message "no response from server". I just did *228 and pretty much fixed the issue after. Logged in successfully after that.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

TheGreatOne wrote:

I've had some issues in the pasted with using mobile IM. One example would be I couldn't sign on & would get the message "no response from server". I just did *228 and pretty much fixed the issue after. Logged in successfully after that.

I assure you, *228 did not fix your issue. Like I said, it's the reboot of the phone after *228 that fixes the issue. Most issues with connecting to the web or an application is usually caused by an invalid DMU or AAA key*. Both have to do with validating the device on the data network, often times they can become corrupted or invalid. *228 does not affect either of these items. By power cycling the phone, 1 or mulitple times, both the DMU and AAA key get reset and the phone is usually able to connect again.

Any Technical Support rep worth their salt knows that *228 doesn't do anything except update the PRL and program in the MDN, MIN and SID. Once the MDN, MIN and SID are programmed into the phone once, they never need to be updated again (unless of course you do a number change). So it holds no troubleshooting value when you're having issues connecting to the data network.

Suzy, yes *228 has recently changed. Option 3 is done away with. Option #1 now recognizes two possible conditions: you're dialing *228 from a phone that is already active in the system, so it only  programs the phone AND updates the PRL. OR if the phone dialing *228 is NOT activated it will recognize this, deteremine the ESN and then ask you the phone number you'd like to program it on. After inputing the number it follows the same steps of programming the phone and updating the PRL.

** DMU being the Dynamic Mobile IP Update. This system gives and validates the IP of the mobile device allowing it access on the network, preventing fraud or malicious hardware etc.

** AAA key being the Authentication Authorization Accounting key which tells the network what you have access to and how to access it.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nmchileman wrote:

...Suzy, yes *228 has recently changed. Option 3 is done away with. Option #1 now recognizes two possible conditions: you're dialing *228 from a phone that is already active in the system, so it only  programs the phone AND updates the PRL. OR if the phone dialing *228 is NOT activated it will recognize this, deteremine the ESN and then ask you the phone number you'd like to program it on. After inputing the number it follows the same steps of programming the phone and updating the PRL. 

Thanks for the excellent information....so basically Option 2 is redundant and unnecessary?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Not necessarily. Otherwise they wouldn't keep it! :smileytongue:

Option #2 is still the best option if you ONLY need to update the PRL. You'd want to do this if you were going to be travelling outside your home area, or if the PRL hasn't been updated in 30 days or more.

Since Option #2 only updates the PRL there is less information to download so it's faster than Option #1 and takes up less bandwidth on the network, which is always appreciated.

Too bad the original poster hasn't replied yet. Curious to see what ended up happening.

0 Likes