picture messages auto-resizing to 640 x 480
postlw8j

I have a Samsung Alias 2 and despite the camera resolution being set at 1600 x 1200, all picture messages are sent at 640 x 480. When you hit the button to send a picture, it says "resizing picture" on the screen. None of my previous Verizon phones (including the Alias 1) have done this. Is there any way to turn off the resizing? I cannot find any such options in the users manual or the phone.

thanks in advance for any info.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: picture messages auto-resizing to 640 x 480
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi-

Not sure if you got your question answered or not, but this issue has come up a few times, and today another member and I puzzled it out and came up with a solution for him, at least, and it may help you.

Check the camera settings for taking the pictures in 1600x1200 resolution - is the quality is set to "Fine" or "Normal"?  The fine settings result in a large file size that is too large to send as a text message, so it is automatically resized before sending.  If you change the quality setting to normal, you can send the picture at full resolution without resizing.  You can follow our thread and resolution here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi-

Not sure if you got your question answered or not, but this issue has come up a few times, and today another member and I puzzled it out and came up with a solution for him, at least, and it may help you.

Check the camera settings for taking the pictures in 1600x1200 resolution - is the quality is set to "Fine" or "Normal"?  The fine settings result in a large file size that is too large to send as a text message, so it is automatically resized before sending.  If you change the quality setting to normal, you can send the picture at full resolution without resizing.  You can follow our thread and resolution here.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you SuzyQ and SeeVeriz2 .  The resizing has bugged me too. 
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lightninrod wrote:
Thank you SuzyQ and SeeVeriz2 .  The resizing has bugged me too. 

I knew there were several threads on a few different boards about this, so I'm glad we figured out what's happening in some cases.  It may not solve all the problems, but it makes sense if the "fine" resolution is the default.  One more option to check and see if it IS the cause of the auto-resizing.

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3
Worked fine for me young lady.  Got a 'normal' sized pic sent to my photobucket account.
0 Likes
postlw8j

I tried "normal" quality and it worked. Thanks for the solution.

What puzzles me even more is that I emailed Verizon about it and got a personal call three days later telling me that they were previously unaware of this problem but confirmed that it was happening. They assured me that they would continue to look into it but said that there should be "no limiting of file sizes" on the network. So where is this limit coming from if not the Verizon network? Samsung?

0 Likes