Voice Activated Dialing
jmcohen23

There appears to be a real safety issue with the verizon phones (or maybe its just the samsungs).

Apparently, I cannot use the VAD (Voice Activated Dialing) feature if I have a new text message or new voice message.

The safety issue is that if I am driving, and want to use my bluetooth to make a call, the phone will not activate the voice command until I clear the new text or voice mail message indicator.  thus, forcing me to dig through my stuff just to pull out my phone and press the "OK" button.  this could be especially hazardous (as well as illegal in those areas that prohibit cell phone use while driving).

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and does anyone know of a way to bypass this feature?  I would think that this would be a simple software fix if it's a problem for anyone with VZW.

The phones that I am experiencing this on are the Samsung Flipshot and Glyde.

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Voice Activated Dialing
LCH77

I have the same problem with my Treo, but I'm not as lucky as you are.  The VoiceDial feature on the Treo required the purchase of additional software and only works with a WIRED headset.  At lease yours works with Bluetooth.  My research has found that very few non PDA/Smartphones do.  That means that if you want VAD over Bluetooth, with very few exceptions, you need to get a phone that also requires a $30 per month data plan.

I agree with you that fumbling for your phone for dialing or to push the "clear" button, is distracting but, as far as I have found, you are still allowed to dial in those States that have cell phone bans.

On your specific issue, you might be able to disable the voice mail and/or text message alert in the "Preferences."  It appears that I can turn off these alerts on my Treo.

0 Likes
jmcohen23

I checked the preferences for these phones, but to no avail.

0 Likes
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3
All Motorolas and all LGs have had the voice command dialing for years.  Definitely do not need a "smartphone" for that feature or a BT earpiece..
Message Edited by mossy on 07-13-2009 12:05 PM
0 Likes
LCH77

I agree that you do not necessarily need a Smartphone for VAD, my son's 3-year old RAZR V3 can do it, including BT dialing.  However, in my search for a replacement phone, I found very few that support VAD over a BT headset and none that meet my 4 requirements:

1. VAD over a BT Headset

2. Ability to hold 2500 contacts

3. Ability to Sync contacts and calendar with a Macintosh (either over USB, BT or IR)

4. No $30/month data plan required (my Treo is still "grandfathered" to a $0.015/kb plan)

I have found 2 non-smartphones that hold 1500 & 2000 contacts respectively but neither can sync to a Mac.  If either did, I would edit my contact list down to their maximums.  My Treo 700p does all of the above except #1 (even the "all doing" iPhone is also not capable of #1 either, although v3.1 is rumored to add that capability).

0 Likes
jmcohen23
so you think this is more a feature with the cell phone rather than the carrier?
0 Likes
LCH77

Yes, I do.  While the carrier initiates these alerts, I think it's the phone's designer that decides how to display them.  In their defense, they probably decided that it is more important that you know that you have either a new Voicemail or new SMS.  However, the carrier might dictate these requirements to the individual manufacturers.  That's why features on the same phone can vary from carrier to carrier.

Whenever, I am unable to initiate a VAD using my wired headset, it is because the alert screen is being displayed.  The problem with the Treo is to cancel these alerts, you need to use the touch screen.  This isn't easy and thus not safe to do while driving.  BTW, I did check and I cannot disable the Voicemail alert on my Treo.  It must be acknowledged by physically touching something on the phone before you can make a hands free call.  Sort of defeats the purpose of hands free, doesn't it?

My only suggestion is to check how each phone implements the alerts when choosing your next phone, but don't expect anyone at a carrier's store or phone support to know these details.  That's why I'm spending so much time choosing my next phone. 

0 Likes
jmcohen23

so I called Samsung today and asked them about the issue.  They told me that there is not currently a way to bypass the alert status screen when using VAD.

I mentioned that this could "dangerous" as well as illegal in states where cell phone laws are in plce while driving.  I then asked if he could escelate the issue on up the chain to see if there could be a software fix in the future.  he mentioned that he would certainly escelate the issue to his supervisor, and that his supervisor will escelate the issue on up the ranks as quickly as possible.

so, hopefully, we will see some resolution.  but as of now, the answer is no.

0 Likes