Verizon text message from +90 country code (Turkey)
flakyphone

Is this a scam? I'm getting text messages from Verizon using a +90 country code (Turkey). They are asking me to respond with a letter to stop them.

The # is +90 (007) 000 43 40. An example message is: 

Verizon Msg: You protect your phone, now protect your eligible home entertainment, home office, wearable, and smart home products. Introducing Verizon Protect Home, featuring premium tech support, digital security, and protection for your eligible home products if they experience a covered breakdown. Visit m.vzw.com/m/vzprotecthome Reply "X" to stop msgs.

Does anybody know if this is legit or a scam?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon text message from +90 country code (Turkey)
jav6
Champion - Level 3

You're guessing the number is a valid telephone number, interpreted as cc 90, Turkey.  It is probably a dummy number used for these type messages.  There have been numbers in logs reported that are in the format 900xxxxxxxxx that are from Verizon.  Hopefully, a Verizon agent will chime in here with an appropriate response.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

flakyphone

I truly understand your concern in wanting to be cautious especially in this day and age. However, this is a legitimate text and not coming from Turkey but from our automated notification center. Most of our automated messages are in this format 90008004000 (for example). And that is a valid link; the purpose was to inform you of a new product (Verizon Protect Home https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/smart-home-support-faqs/)

EdwardL_VZW

RightIsRay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Y’all need to stop using that system and propagate a real number that can be recognized as Verizon. Having numbers that read as from turkey are going to continue to be blocked. Way too many scams nowadays to even take a chance. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, RightIsRay. We are very sorry for the concern that came up with the phone number that you received on your Caller ID with this Verizon Wireless message. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for new ways to improve our products and services. Please feel free to let us know of any other ways we can assist. Thank you. - BrettA_VZW

0 Likes
Jvs903
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Verizon keeps sending these 90 country code messages. I’m in the US how about using a US based number to send messages. I block every time or switch providers 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing we want is for you to get unwanted messages.  We want this resolved ASAP.  Can you tell us more about exactly what your specific messages are showing?

0 Likes
Vzwuser601
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a Verizon mobile customer for decades, and today (24-Sep-2020) I recieved a text from +90 (009) 000 57 08 that stated:

Verizon Msg: Great news, we're now sending potential Fraud calls to voicemail automatically.  For extra protection, the iOS 14 update includes Silence Junk Callers, a new feature that auto-blocks potential Spam calls and sends them to your Recent calls & voicemail.  For info & how to opt-out m.vzw.com/CallFilterFAQ

note the URL that starts with m.vzw is a hot link (I underlined it above), and no way am I clicking it with the spam/phishing texts I get.  Is this legit?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely hear your concern with the security of such a message. I'm happy to say Call Filter is our official anti-spam calling feature and app. Please feel free to check here for more details. https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/#what

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
Doughnutbandit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I really wish Verizon would use US based numbers for texts. It does appear as a scam when you first get these messages.