Re: Verizon message app doesnt work on my kindle fire
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today I spent over 1 hour on the phone with Verizon technical service about this issue. He was very helpful and was in contact with other Techs while I was on the phone with him trying to find a solution. Unfortunately everyone concluded that if you have a new version of the Fire HD10  at this time there is no way to get Verizon Message to work. The QR scanner that is provided with the app doesn't work with the new software version of the Fire HD10. I even loaded a separate QR scanner on the Fire HD and it scanned the QR code right away so it has nothing to do with the code Verizon sends.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tae111,

We appreciate the update you have provided regarding the issues you are having with your device. We understand the outcome may not have been what you were expecting and we want to make sure we help fix this for you. We hope that a new update will be provided soon that will fix this issue for you. We appreciate your patience with us during this time.

Candice_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mimirisa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and with the latest Verizon Message update I ended up having phone calls coming through my tablet which I did not want.  In trying to deactivate the phone feature I uninstalled and installed the Verizon Message+ app.  In doing that, it now asks me to scan a QR Code and my Samsung Tablet camera is not able to successfully do that.  I am on Android 7.1.1 system update.  I have worked with a Verizon tech who could not help me and went into the local Verizon owned store.  The tech there said that I should do a reset of my tablet and that my tablet may not be compatible with the app.  That response is not accurate as I have not problem downloading the Verizon Message+ app but just cannot scan the QR code on my phone with the tablet camera.  I even downloaded a QR code ready which did not help one bit.

Why has this been made so difficult to use the Verizon Message+ app?  This app has been my preferred app to use for several years.  Help!!!! I would like specific direction on how to get this app back on my tablet.  I love that it would sync with my Pixel 2 phone.  Thank you.

mikelee666
Enthusiast - Level 1

Customers on this thread have already clearly described this problem, but the responses from Verizon support have been vague and unsatisfactory. 

Allow me to summarize the issue and my expectations as a Verizon customer:

The Verizon Message (Message+) app cannot be configured and verified after installation on a Kindle Fire HD10 tablet because the app’s built-in QR code reader on the tablet cannot read the QR code Verizon sends to the customer phone, and there is no fallback verification method available. Other QR code readers installed on a Fire tablet can read the code. This Verizon app is not available in the Amazon AppStore. But many Fire tablet owners install the Google Play store, which provides a way to install Android apps that are unavailable directly from Amazon.

Verizon owes us a clear answer about whether this problem has actually been escalated to your development team, and whether Verizon has specific plans to fix the issue.

If Verizon’s position is that Message+ is “not supported” on the Fire tablet because Verizon has failed to certify the app for the Amazon AppStore, then a supported/certified version should be released. But it is probably easier to just fix this simple bug in the app instead of hiding behind “not supported” legalese.

Given the number of Fire tablets Amazon sells, Verizon is probably annoying at least thousands of their customers who try to install Message+ and just give up without reporting the problem. And Verizon is really annoying those of us who persist and report the issue. I have personally spent at least two hours in chats and on the phone trying to get this issue escalated. Verizon’s chat technician/tech coach told me that Verizon provides no way for them to escalate any technical issue. Pathetic. I was told I had to call 611. The tech there, after walking through all kinds of steps that I’m pretty sure we both knew were futile, recommended I post in this forum to escalate the issue—she also had no way to file a problem report. Double pathetic.

To be very clear, both technicians did their utmost to research the issue and help me. They did not fail me, Verizon’s bureaucratic roadblocks to getting customer issues heard are the problem.  Of course, you need to be sure that you don’t send your dev team a lot of unactionable garbage. But your first and second tier support teams should filter what goes to developers, not be blocked entirely from alerting them to a problem. I have decades of experience and expertise in software management and development with multiple large corporations, and I know exactly how this game is played. Again, pathetic, and short-sighted.

QR codes are a notoriously problematic with very limited error correction compared to the robust capabilities of the traditional barcodes used by grocery stores. Perhaps you just need to increase the error correction level supported in your app and generated codes to make it work for most customers. A much better fix is to dispense with this QR code nonsense entirely, and do your validation with texted alphanumeric authorization codes, as nearly everyone does, including Verizon in almost all other scenarios. It’s ridiculous to make me wave my phone around my tablet trying to get this to work just because one of your developers wanted to play with QR codes because they’re cool.

I expect the next Verizon representative who responds to this thread to:

• Confirm that this issue has actually been formally raised with the development team as a bug report or change request.

• Provide information about the progress and status for fixing this problem.

If my expectations are not met, I will escalate this aggressively with Verizon by other means. I don’t mean to be mean about this, but I do mean to get Verizon’s attention on behalf of myself and other frustrated customers.

JAMMAH13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to work around this issue by side loading Messages+ ver 6.6.6 from an apk mirror site.  That version sends you a 6 digit pin instead of the wacky QR code.  Newer versions may work but I chose 6.6.6 because it most closely represented what I needed to go through to get it working.  I will have to be carefull when updating or re-install from my downloads folder if it gets messed up.  If someone has the time to figure out what the latest version that would work I'd be appreciative.  ver. 6.6.6 came out June 14, 2018

JAMMAH13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so some good news.  You can let Play Store update to the latest version and it does not "break" the previous authentication.  I.e., no need for QR code.  I should have mentioned in the 1st post that I'm using Launcher Hijack and using the Google Now launcher, so the Play Store is in play LOL....  So the trick is to initiate the app from say ver 6.6.6 with a p.i.n. and then let Play Store update it.  Hope that helps some folks!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hope you sent a similar message to the developers of the application. Their email address is listed on the Google Play listing.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mimirisa
Enthusiast - Level 2

This suggestion to go to APK.com and download an earlier version of

Messages+ gave me hope. Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I

downloaded many, many versions all the way to 2017 versions with no

success. With each version i entered my cell number when asked and do not

receive a text message with a code at all. This is frustrating and

wearisome for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Likes
dias_vzw
Verizon Employee

Mimirisa, I truly understand your concern with this. Messages+ is an awesome feature and we want to make sure it is working properly for you. Please respond to the Direct Message that I have sent you.

DiaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzieL
Enthusiast - Level 3

I,just received a new replacement Amazon Fire Tablet HD 10 and I cannot get the Verizon Message App to install. I have done all of the same things other users have said in,this thread, and still no success. Has this issue been escalated and resolved, and if so, what is the solution ? This is now February, and I have 3 Tablets to set up and am very frustrated. We need a fix ASAP.  . Thanks....Sue