Re: Verizon Messages Plus App
gmuhl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I do have a Verizon phone/account.  No, my Galaxy Tab S was not purchase through Verizon.

More details about my QR code problem:  the first time I installed the Message+ app on this particular tablet a week ago, I was able to scan the QR-code, but after that I had to do a re-install of the app, and since then I have not been able to get the new QR codes to scan.

I have since installed a QR code scanner app on that same tablet, and I have gone back through all of the Verizon verification messages on my cell phone, and I have been able to use the scanner app successfully on each of those QR codes.  As expected, each of the successive QR codes contained a different verification string.

So each time I try to verify the Verizon Message+ app using my cell phone number, it sends a different, unique QR code.  But I have not been able to get those codes to scan successfully since that first successful scan.  That leads me to wonder if that first successful QR code got cached on my tablet, and each time I've tried to scan a new QR code since then, the app has been trying to compare the newly-issued QR code against that first cached QR code, rather than overwriting the cached code each time a new QR code is sent to my phone.  If that is the case, then the cached QR code is persisting when the app is un-installed and re-installed.

Anyway, I cheated and side-loaded a 2016 version of Message+, which verifies using a human-readable, hand-entered code.  I was able to verify my account using that old version, and then I updated the app to the latest, and I am good to go.

The Message+ app is great, and I have become dependent upon it.  When I had to replace my tablet a week ago, I panicked when I couldn't get the updated app to scan the verification QR code.

gregl_vzw
Verizon Employee

Being able to access the Messages+ app can be very convenient, CHTHA80. I am happy to assist. When initially downloaded the application, were you prompted to allow the application access to your tablet's camera? Have you had any other issues with the camera in general on your tablet?

GregL_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dungy
Enthusiast - Level 2

If someone in support would take their tablet, uninstall Message+, and try to re- install....you would see exactly what the problem is!

stagns
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dude, we're ALL having trouble with this app.  Cannot scan the QR code no matter what steps are taken (multiple request, printed B&W copy).  Nothing.  Update the all to use a more modern ID verification process, like Google Authenticator, or at least provide an alternative method for input.  We're proficient users of our Kindle Fire 10 tablets and know basic troubleshooting - there's something really hosed up with your app!  Come on, can't even scan an 8.5 x 11 printout?!?

Give us an alternative...does not work!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to get to the bottom of what is going on. Have you gotten a warranty replaceme nt for the device? Did it have the same issue after you did so?

ElizabethC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Mimirisa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your email.

My device is two and a half years old. I have had no reason to get a

warranty replacement for this device.  Actually, I do not understanf fully

the nature of that question.

Prior to the Message+ app requiring the QR code I have never had to use

this tablet to scan a QR code. Also, I have used the Message+  app for many

years until now.

Help! Could the developers of the app just go to a numerical code for the

verifications?  I  do not want to spend $300 for a new tablet just to use

the Verizon Message+ app. My tablet is no longer under warranty.

What is the status on what can be done on this problem? Is this hopeless?

Have a great day.

Risa [removed]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

stagns
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with her too.  We need an alternative to the QR scan Elizabeth. What is the status of this getting done? Can we do it manually on a case by case basis with tech support?

stagns
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW Mimrisa I have the latest and greatest version of the Kindle and I manually installed Google Play Store (Amazon Android OS is customized and doesn't play well with others) and all its dependencies and I STILL couldn't get the app to scan the code, so don't bother even considering purchasing new hardware as a workaround.

We're still waiting, Verizon tech support.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details, Mimirisa. I understand you've used Verizon Messages for several years, and I want to help resolve this issue so you can get back to using this great feature! Regrettably, this is the only way for users to register their tablet for Message+.

Due to the Message+ update, both of your devices must have the same Message+ version. Please advise if both your devices have the most recent Message + update. If not, please update them. Then attempt to register the QR code. Does this help?

ChakiaH_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Mimirisa
Enthusiast - Level 2

My cell phone has Message+ version 6.7.10.

I downloaded the Message+ version 6.7.10 on my Samsung Tablet last week on

Jan. 16, 2019 AGAIN to see if trying again to scan the QR code would work.

Unfortunately, it DID NOT. Very, very disappointed and discouraged that

Verizon only permits the QR code for verification.

Risa [removed]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes