VZWPIX - wap encoding error
rlmoon

I have a new Verizon phone. When I try to send an email with an attachment (pic or MP3) to my phone using VZWPIX I get a "wap encoding error". I am using the correct email format (phone-number@vzwpix.com) and I am using Outlook on my PC. The salesperson at the Verizon store said I can send emails to my phone. What is this "wap error" and how can I send emails to my phone?

I have searched lots of internet-boards and there seems to be no real solution to this, but lots of complaints about Verizon that they are intentiionally blocking this industry-standard service and feature.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZWPIX - wap encoding error
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

If you are referring to the fact that you can't go to a website and ' download ' a tone, or whatever, you are correct. VZW deliberately blocks that feature to force you to PAY for your downloads using GIN. They will tell you the phone can't do that; and they are right after they tell the manufacturer to write it into the code to prevent it.. ( talk about antitrust ).

If you can't receive a tone in your pix message, it could be the file. Here are some things to check

1) jpg, GIF, or maybe png for pix mp3 preferably for ringers ( m4a, aac, and mp4 MAY not work for ringers )

2) keep file size under 400k for ringers and pix

3) ringers kept under 39 seconds or your file gets converted to a crappy sounding .qcelp file

4) protected ( copy write protection ) files will not work ( use tunebite to remove )

5) mp3 tags should be stripped clean

Make sure those are in place

Hopefully that will help with things 

crazy.gif

0 Likes
rlmoon

... as specifically mentioned in my origional message, this has NOTHING to do with a website or access to a website. It has ONLY to do with sending an email to a verizone phone which has pic/ringtone capability.

Responders .... Please READ the origional problem BEFORE responding with assistnace. I have made some progress and have been able to ocassionally send an MP3 file to my verizon phone and save it as a ringtone. I'm trying to duplicate a sucessful process and will post the results if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Likes
Re: VZWPIX - WAP encoding error
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

A WAP ENCODING ERROR MEANS YOU WERE ON THE INTERNET! THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMPOSING EMAILS AND SENDING THEM TO YOUR PHONE! MAYBE IF YOU WOULD EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM BETTER YOU WOULD GET THE ANSWERS YOU WANT!

HERE READ ABOUT WAP TO EDUCATE YOURSELF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Application_Protocol

mad2.gif

Message Edited by Carm on 06-27-2009 10:59 PM
0 Likes
rlmoon

A 'wap encoding error" has NOTHING to do with being on the internet!!!  WAP stands for "Wireless Application Protocol". It is a variation of XML standardization within W3C.

..... When you SEND and EMAIL to "phone-number@vzwpix.com" that has a pic/riingtone attached, you will get and EMAIL response message from the Verizon "MMSC NDR Administrator" that states as follows;

Message could not be delivered to mobile.
Error: Wap Encoding Erro
r

Numerious internet sites indicate that Verizon is "Blocking" emails being sent to Verizon phones that go through ".vzwpix.com" that have pic/ringtone attachments!!  While verizon does not seem to come right out and make this statement, the proff is in the pudding!!

RESPONDERS    ...... if your are just "guessing", and don't really have a solution, or valid test that might lead to a solution, please keep your "guesses' to yourself!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS: I still am getting the "wap error" on lots of emails to a verizon phone through vzwpix.com, but SOME have actually been delivered to my phone and I can actually save the attached ringtone. I'm trying to narrow down what makes some emails suceed and others fail.

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

{keep it courteous}

I CAN SUCCESSFULLY SEND A RINGTONE TO JUST ABOUT ANY PHONE OUT THERE WITHOUT ANY ISSUES!

I WROTE MANY POSTS ON HERE WITH REGARDS TO SENDING THE MP3 IN THE PROPER FORMAT AND BITRATE, CLEARLY YOU HAVE NOT READ WHAT I POSTED ORIGIONALLY. I TOLD YOU MANYTHINGS TO CHECK FOR, BUT SINCE YOU ARE STUBBORN AND DON'T WANT ANY HELP FINE

OH VERIZON IS NOT BLOCKING IT! ---USER ERROR! new_tomato.gif

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-28-2009 01:27 AM
0 Likes
Jorsh
Enthusiast - Level 1

PERMANENT SOLUTION: when send e-mail change letter encoding to UTF-8. Most of e-mail clients by default use Western AKA Latin1 AKA ISO-8859-1 encoding. That's why you get "WAP encoding error".

It was easy but not trivial because of stupid and meaningless error message. BYW, it has nothing to do with Verizon limitations, just stupididy of their programmers. I found the tip googling: somebody wrote about sending pictures through VZWPIX.  Worked for me when sending MP3 using Thunderbird, however should be working with any e-mail client.

hhosler
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the same error after sending a message from hotmail to a vzwpix.com number.  I had copied and pasted from Word into the hotmail message.  It sent fine after changing options dropdown in the hotmail message from rich text to plain text.

0 Likes
hhosler
Enthusiast - Level 1

This answer is the one that helped me past the same error message even though I was only sending text.  The clue is use the right e-mail format, I changed mine to plain text (options drop-down) and it worked.  Thankyou Jorsh (3 years later!)

0 Likes
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon agent will message you shortly.
0 Likes