Unwanted texts
Kage4hm

So I recently moved and had to change my number. The only problem is that I keep getting facebook status updates and messages from facebook from whoever had this number before me. I cant specifically block the texts through blocking because they are not 10 digit numbers, nor can i block the website because they come through as a number, not a domain name. Does anyone know how to stop these messages from coming through?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unwanted texts
budone
Legend

If you have not really tied yourself to the new number, I would log onto your account and simply change your number.

I lkeep my cell number wherever I move, so I do not have to worry about getting someone elses number.

0 Likes
Kage4hm

thats kind of the problem. i have already given everyone the new number, (bills, friends, family ect..) i tried to keep my new number but was told by verizon that since it was a new area code, the number would have to be totally changed. 

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Great feedback from the community again!! Hey Kage4hm, my cousin had a similar issue. She contacted the Facebook administrative staff to ask them to communicate a change request to the user that has your mobile number set up for alerts. I would recommend that you try it!

0 Likes
lovestrains

I have the same problem on the new line we got for my son.  He was getting 30 facebook updates a day from strangers that were posting updates to the former owner of the phone number.  Three calls to Verizon customer support yielded little help.  Using the spam controls on the My Verizon site to block all texts coming from a web site also didn't work.  What did work is the following:

Create a new text message to 32665

Put in just the word OFF as the message

you should get back a confirmation text message from facebook that the text updates are turned off.

No thanks to Verizon for helping stop this spam

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
"Spam" to you, but technically not, since the original owner of the phone number wanted the updates. If someone else ever gets my phone number, they will get several alerts that I have set up (banking, weather, Facebook, Twitter . . . ) Thanks for telling us how to stop them!!

And a reminder for anyone changing their phone number - remove any alerts you have set up before changing the number so the person getting it next won't have to deal with all this.
0 Likes