Texting -- When does a text go toward my total?
TRad01

Sorry for the newbie question.  I have a limited texting (250 per month) plan for my son's first cell phone.  I thought that if he didn't open the text, it would not be counted toward his monthly total, but it seems that any text that hits his phone is being counted.  Could someone summarize how to avoid being counted for texts he does not want to read.

He made the mistake of giving his number to several friends who text all day long.  I know I can block them, but want him to be able to text them if he wants.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texting -- When does a text go toward my total?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ALL messages sent and received will count, whether he reads them or not.  They are counted when they are delivered to the phone....your solution is to block all text, or increase the plan to allow him more.  If most of these friends are Verizon, going up one level, for $5 more, to 500 out of network and unlimited Verizon might work too. (Just be sure to backdate the plan to the beginning of your billing cycle so you don't get hit with pro-rated overages.)

You'll likely end up doing what I did after a few months of nervously monitoring teen usage, and warning of the limits, and then realizing that this is how teens communicate--you'll go with unlimited for the family and learn how to text!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ALL messages sent and received will count, whether he reads them or not.  They are counted when they are delivered to the phone....your solution is to block all text, or increase the plan to allow him more.  If most of these friends are Verizon, going up one level, for $5 more, to 500 out of network and unlimited Verizon might work too. (Just be sure to backdate the plan to the beginning of your billing cycle so you don't get hit with pro-rated overages.)

You'll likely end up doing what I did after a few months of nervously monitoring teen usage, and warning of the limits, and then realizing that this is how teens communicate--you'll go with unlimited for the family and learn how to text!!

0 Likes
TRad01

Many thanks for the reply.  I thought that must be the case  -- that all texts received do count.  We are in the process of migrating my family of 5 to Verizon, so we are learning ins and outs of family plans.  Sounds like good advice to consider stepping up one level -- I think most of his friends are on Verizon. 

0 Likes