Suggestion for Text Messaging
dnsmith19

My 13 year old son texts non-stop!  I am concerned about his recent behaviors and think it'd be beneficial to be able to request copies of the texts he's exchanging with his friends and girlfriend to see what they are talking about... Every time I try to take the phone from him to see what he's been texting he deletes his history.  I spoke to a rep about this and they advised that they could only do this under court order.  My suggestion is that parents should be allowed to request copies of their kids texts messaging history at any time.  It should not be a privacy issue.  I know I'm not the only parent out there who would find this helpful.  We need to be able to protect our kids.  Please consider this option for your customers!  Thank you!! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Suggestion for Text Messaging
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

If you are paying for the phone and service and your son is living under the roof you provide, I would say screw any privacy concerns and take whatever appropriate measures you feel are necessary. Attempting to get anything done about getting copies of texts from the cell carrier is fruitless. If you really want copies, take the phone and put tracking software on it or put restrictions on the account with parental controls.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

dnsmith19 wrote:

My 13 year old son texts non-stop!  I am concerned about his recent behaviors and think it'd be beneficial to be able to request copies of the texts he's exchanging with his friends and girlfriend to see what they are talking about... Every time I try to take the phone from him to see what he's been texting he deletes his history.  I spoke to a rep about this and they advised that they could only do this under court order.  My suggestion is that parents should be allowed to request copies of their kids texts messaging history at any time.  It should not be a privacy issue.  I know I'm not the only parent out there who would find this helpful.  We need to be able to protect our kids.  Please consider this option for your customers!  Thank you!! 

tell him if he deletes the history, he will lose his cell phone

set parantels controls so he can only call you

parenting 101 should be a mandatory class

0 Likes
dnsmith19

mdram4x4 wrote:

tell him if he deletes the history, he will lose his cell phone

set parantels controls so he can only call you

parenting 101 should be a mandatory class

I am an excellent parent and thank you for your useless reply.  I have a few choice words for you that I will not use on here and risk having my suggestion deleted.  I was not looking for parenting criticism especially from someone with NO BRAIN.  I know what to do and not to do with my child so unless you have something useful to say I thank you to keep your snide remarks to yourself.

To clarify to anyone who may wish to reply in a non-confrontational manner... the Verizon rep I spoke with suggested that I get on the forum an make this suggestion as the more people who make these requests (and I point out that I WAS NOT THE FIRST WHO HAS) the greater the chance of getting the suggestion put into action.

0 Likes
Kh-Phil

Dear Community Members,

Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Thanks,

Paul-D
Community Moderator

0 Likes
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

If you are paying for the phone and service and your son is living under the roof you provide, I would say screw any privacy concerns and take whatever appropriate measures you feel are necessary. Attempting to get anything done about getting copies of texts from the cell carrier is fruitless. If you really want copies, take the phone and put tracking software on it or put restrictions on the account with parental controls.

0 Likes