Suddenly can't send or receive pix/flix messages...txt is fine
reg151

Is there any reason why I suddenly wouldn't be able to receive pix or flix messages?  It happened on 3/16 at a random point in the night - I sent 3 or 4 pix messages to the same person and then all of a sudden couldn't anymore.  No changes have been made on my account and I have unlimted txt messaging plan...just wondering if there is anything I can do without having to go through Verizon customer service - they suck!

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Suddenly can't send or receive pix/flix messages...txt is fine
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Typically if you are unable to send/receive picture messages but able to send/receive text messages, there are steps in your phone that can be followed to manually program the correct IDs into it. In most cases, this is all that is required to fix the issues you are having.

Dependent upon the device you have, you may need to contact customer services or visit a verizon store to have your phone manually programmed with the correct information, there a few numbers that tell your phone how to handle and route a call, not just your mobile number and in some cases these numbers can be incorrect.

These situations can happen, but should not happen continuously. It can happen without any changes fromthe user end, but in some cases in conjunction with VZW service and any cellular services, things such as these may need to be manually corrected.

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 09:31 AM
0 Likes
fluster

I am having the same problem! As of 3/18, my phone is not letting me send pix message. I have the cholocolate LG for almost 2 years now and this problem just started yesterday. Everytime someone send me a picture text message, i get a text message informing me of the pix message and directing me to log onto my online account to get the pix! How annoying is that!  

I called VZ customer service this mornig and as usual they did not help me out. I'm so flustrated with it. The person just checked to see if I had any kind of blocks on my phone and that was it. Then he told me to go visit a store!!!!!!

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

There are steps to manually program your Lg Chocolate outside the basic *228 over the air programming. It is unfortunate you were sent to a store, as you should have definitely been able to get programming instructions over the phone with customer support. To have your phone manually programmed when you call customer support; in the case you are not proactively offered manual programming, I would ask to speak to a technician in order to get further assistance on your issue. Blocks are only 1 part of the various things that could be causing your issue. There are possiblities of Network outages, Device issues, Software issues, and a combination of the 3 that could be causing your problem, and there are steps VZW offers to check for all these issues.  Again, stores are not the only ones who can help with your programming issues.. If you feel the agent you are talking to is not helping with your technical issue, always feel free to ask for a technician.

0 Likes
fluster

Thanks for replying. Something told me that he was able to do more steps but i guess i just had it with the VZ customer service( or lack there of). 

sometime you just get tired of fighting with these people and telling them.

What can you do but move on to another wireless provider. 

0 Likes
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3
If you are getting a message to go to pix place when you recieve a message, the problem is on the provisioning side. The system is thinking you are not set up for picture messaging. If there are no blocks and you are provisioned correctly in the system, a phone rep can try and remove and readd the picture messaging in the billing system to try and get the system to reset it. If that dosen't work then a network ticket would have to go in and it would be fixed in 2-5 days. Alternatively, disconnecting your line and reactivating it may reset the system. Changing the mobile number would 99% work, but would only be an option if you weren't attached to your current number and too impatient to wait up to 5 days for network to fix it on the back end.
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

KaiserBob wrote:
If you are getting a message to go to pix place when you recieve a message, the problem is on the provisioning side. The system is thinking you are not set up for picture messaging. If there are no blocks and you are provisioned correctly in the system, a phone rep can try and remove and readd the picture messaging in the billing system to try and get the system to reset it. If that dosen't work then a network ticket would have to go in and it would be fixed in 2-5 days. Alternatively, disconnecting your line and reactivating it may reset the system. Changing the mobile number would 99% work, but would only be an option if you weren't attached to your current number and too impatient to wait up to 5 days for network to fix it on the back end.

My apologies, Kaiser, but I personally would not recommend these options to a customer in any situation.  Disconnecting a line in the attempt to reconnect can potentially lose the customers number, and in some cases impact the billing... rarely, but I have seen it happen where the number will be lost, it will also generate an early termination fee... The fee can be credited, but again, it is a step that is unnecessary to correct this kind of issue.

It is true,  in some cases a network remedy ticket may be required but changing the number or disconnecting and then reconnecting would not be a step that would necessarily solve the issue.

Possibly re-provisioning the feature can sometimes clear the switch in terms of allowing the feature to work again, but in most cases this can be remedied with a simple reprogramming of the provisioning of the information of the device, and if a network remedy ticket is required, the network repair bureau can review provisioning of the switch. Again, in terms of correcting these issues, I am positive that changing the number, or reconnecting service would not be a very good thing to try and do...

I've seen in some cases where removing the phone and replacing it on to the line will correct the issue, but disconnecting the line itself is not advised, and honestly Technical support would not advise this in the case of your picture messaging not functioning. The problems you are  having can be remedied without going to those extremes.

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-19-2009 07:15 PM
0 Likes
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3
Those steps mentioned are defintitely not typical troubleshooting steps, and the standard process would be submitting a remedy ticket as I stated. I attempted to qualify that when I said that changing the mobile number would only be an option if you were to impatient to wait for the network ticket. In the problem described an ESN change is less likely to work but certainly be attempted. Resetting the provisioning by feature change and if still not working a network ticket should be how the problem is addressed.
0 Likes