Smartwatch issue with new Message+
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

The 6.4.x build of Message+ wants me to setup the app for calling from my watch. I've asked support but they had no answers.  This shows up constantly:

vzw_msgs_moto360.png

Followed by:

watch.png

And yet no amount of clicking on the Open Calling Setup does anything either on my Moto365 Gen 2 or my LG V20.  There's no speaker on my Moto360 so setting up calling from my watch is illogical.  I just say OK Google call such-and-such and that's all I want to do.  Can someone at Verizon please give me the ability to dismiss and disable this constant setup message that doesn't do anything for me?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Smartwatch issue with new Message+
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Hey everyone I have a solution!  I know it's a bit of a pain, but it's not too bad, if you'll factory reset your smartwatch and let Verizon Messages install itself on the newly reset watch message notifications are INSTANT!

Man, I'm so excited.  Messages is such a terrific app with its ability to use the web to send/receive messages or the desktop app, to have this as the limiting factor was really troublesome.  I'm so happy I found a solution.  Hopefully that works for everyone else here and that helps Verizon's programmers figure out what was wrong and work to a solution so people don't have to reset their smartwatches in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Ironically, this says "compatible smartwatches" and yet given the Moto360 does NOT have a speaker, it's flat out stupid that it harasses me to setup calling on my watch.  Yet another bug or design flaw, among the plethora of them, that Verizon has yet to address (or even comment on).

Calling on Verizon Messages FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to get this working the way you'd like it to work, TubaOrNOtTuba. Let's roll up our sleeves to find a solution. I see that the developers recently push a 2nd app update for Verizon Messages on February 4th ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs&hl=en ) . Has this latest been installed?

If so try resetting the app like this: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203565/
Note: These are the steps for a Samsung Galaxy. If these steps do not work for you, then let us know the make and model of your device.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

I'm so tired of Verizon reps being condescending.  First, let's correct your error.  Verizon has actually pushed THREE updates to the app since last Wednesday, the latest being 6.4.4.

Next, I have reset the app.  The FACT is this app is trying to setup calling on smartwatches.  If you'd bothered to test it you'd have seen it yourself, instead you reply with condescending and inaccurate information and then tell me to do something that you know good and well isn't going to fix anything.

Furthermore, I should have the RIGHT to decide if I wanted to make calls from my watch or not and yet you guys think it is your right to tell me what to do with my watch.  Had you asked, "Would you like to setup your watch to make calls" and let me choose NO and have it go away that'd be fine, but as it stands now you just harass me about this.  That's unacceptable.

Anyway, when you've actually tested this on a smartwatch and found a way to stop it from trying to use a watch to make calls that has NO speaker let me know, until then, please don't waste my time.

muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

I am having the same problem.

Verizon... the moto 360 does not have a speaker, its incapable of placing a call.

You need to fix this asap by letting us chose NOT to allow calling from the watch.

0 Likes
bsteffen88
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only thing I've found to do is destroy the app.

Block it on the 360.

Disable it in Android.

Install a different SMS app.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Which is TOTALLY unacceptable.  Notice how NO Verizon employees have chimed in after their ridiculous and clearly UNTESTED response FOUR days ago?  Clearly they have no clue what's going on and I have to seriously wonder if they have any intention of helping.

0 Likes
bsteffen88
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried this.

On the watch, go to apps, click message+

the app will open and ask to be granted a couple of sets of permissions.  This has worked so far.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Nope.  I've told it "Deny and don't ask again" and yet every time the app opens I get this:moto360_messages_phone_setup_screen.png

There's no way to dismiss it.  I've uninstalled back to the factory version (again, you cannot remove Message+ from a Verizon Android (non-Pixel) phone) which removes the new version from the watch and yet the second the new version, 6.4.4, is reinstalled this comes back.  I reset it to "Deny and don't ask again" and this screen still comes up.  Sure looks like Verizon is ignoring permissions anyway.  Maybe the app should be reported to Google.  Any app that attempts to circumvent Android permissions will be removed from the Play Store.  That'd stop the shenanigans with 6.4.x quickly wouldn't it?!

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

That doesnt work for me either.

The only thing I have found that works is to deactivate Message+, and turn off all functionality of it.  But then I am left without any way to text message, which is ridiculous.

This doesn't surprise me... with Verizon coming out with their own smartwatch in the near future, they are going to prioritize that and phase out anything that is "old".

0 Likes