SMS vs Chat
RCoxinN_C_
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will the ability to default to SMS instead of Chat be coming for the Message+ app? If so, how soon?  If not, Please respond promptly so we can change to a different text app.

Doesn't seem to be any clear answer in the chats just a bunch of tech people talking around the problem instead of fixing the problem.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMS vs Chat
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RCoxinN.C. Let’s get the clarity that you want about your Message+ SMS options. How are you currently using Message+? What are your trying to accomplish? Here is a description of what the app can do. http://spr.ly/65838TRV7

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RCoxinN_C_
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's pretty simple. I want the option to continue to send SMS to other Verizon numbers. I like everything else about the app but forcing us to use chat instead of SMS  for other Verizon numbers is just unacceptable.  

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

On the new App, in Settings (Gear icon) I have a setting for "Send as SMS/MMS" is that what you are looking for?

0 Likes
RCoxinN_C_
Enthusiast - Level 2

That may be but I don't have it in mine and I have the latest version. 

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

I agree we need an option to toggle SMS and chat.  I don't want to use chat at all because It is has proven to be very unreliable.  Worse of all in my troubleshooting I found that the messages that are being sent and received as chat are not stored in the SMS/MMS phone storage.  They are stored in the Messages+ data/cache storage.

I found that deactivating integrated messaging stopped messages from being sent as chat.  However selecting a contact that had been forced into using chat caused the app to crash.  Clearing the data for the app fixed the crashing issue, but all the chat messages were lost.  Two of my phones have already defaulted back to chat for the previously affected contacts.  I guess I'm going to have to permanently disable integrated messaging.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RCoxinN.C., thank you again for your patience, we can understand your point regarding being able to send SMS messages. Updates can sometimes cause us to have to make adjustments. Please make sure you are updated to the latest software version 6.4.4 for the Verizon Message + app. Some areas of the fix are still being worked on. If you are still having problems we recommend switching back to the old version of the app. You should be able to do this by going to settings > App Manager > Locate the app > uninstall updates.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Weth wrote:

On the new App, in Settings (Gear icon) I have a setting for "Send as SMS/MMS" is that what you are looking for?

Weth, where are you seeing this?  I have 6.4.4 on my phone, a Google Pixel, and I'm not seeing that setting - I can send a group message as MMS, but if one of my contacts (like hubby) is also using Messages+, it defaults to Chat.

0 Likes
Kevin_in_AZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the [Removed] that Verizon tells you, to make sure everyone is 6.4.4, to clear the cache, etc.  I just want to text people like I have been doing for years, now they force this chat [Removed] on us.  They should just create a new chat app and let the teens who like to chat download it.

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It shows up on the iPhone version of Message+, which was also updated to the new version.

0 Likes