Restore Converstions in Verizon Mesages/Message+
saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I woke up the other morning and all of my Verizon Mesage+ conversations were completely gone.  I tried restoring them (Message+, Menu, Settings, Account, Restore Messages), but the only option that gives me is 'restore from SD card' and clicking on that just gives me a blank screen. When I go in my Verizon Cloud, it says I have 16,773 messages backed up, but I can't seem to access any of them. When I tap 'view messages', it just opens my empty Message+ app. I tried looking under 'apps using cloud', thinking maybe Message+ just needed permission to access my cloud to restore messages, and it says I haven't given any apps permission to use my Cloud, but I haven't been able to find a way to give an app permission. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo, first gen. 

I do a lot of texting and would really like to get my messages back. Does anyone know how to do this?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Restore Converstions in Verizon Mesages/Message+
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

saenc21000, I'm eager to get this resolved. 

I'm glad the messages are all in the Message+ online. Please try powering the phone all the way OFF for 2-minutes, and then back ON. Once it is back ON, please go to Settings> Account> Restore> Restore From Account. You mentioned it only shows Restore From SD Card; however, possibly restarting the phone will give you the other options.

Please let us know if this works. 

VanessaS_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would also be concerned if all of my text messages were missing from Messages+, saenc21000. I do appreciate all of your efforts to restore your messages, and for sharing the details of your device. I'd like to start by gathering some additional details. What changed with your device before this issue started (updates, new applications, etc.)? What happens when you attempt to view your text messages with the native Motorola text message application? What happens when you attempt to view your text messages online through My Verizon? http://spr.ly/6602Eespq

JosephE_VZW

0 Likes
saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing changed with the device. It was working fine at night, I plugged it in to charge before I went to bed and in the morning everything was gone. I checked and no system updates ran during that time.

When I attempt to view the messages with the Motorola message app, I see the same thing as with Message+. All my past conversations are gone.

Everything is still there when I view my texts online. Nothing is missing (as best as I can tell).

saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: After going through the online texts more thoroughly, all the conversations are there, as best as I can tell, but any conversations that have been used since everything disappeared only go back to that morning.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

saenc21000, I'm eager to get this resolved. 

I'm glad the messages are all in the Message+ online. Please try powering the phone all the way OFF for 2-minutes, and then back ON. Once it is back ON, please go to Settings> Account> Restore> Restore From Account. You mentioned it only shows Restore From SD Card; however, possibly restarting the phone will give you the other options.

Please let us know if this works. 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is unclear whether you meant my phone settings or Message + settings, so I tried both. In my phone settings, there isn't anything called 'account.' In Message+ settings, nothing has changed. My only option is still restore from SD card.

Also, I looked at the conversations available online more closely this morning and while all the conversations do appear to be there, some of them are incomplete. Any conversation that has been used since Sunday morning, when everything disappeared, only goes back to Sunday morning. Everything from before that is gone. The text conversations that have not been used still have everything.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Apologies for the confusion, saenc21000. We meant the settings for Messages +. Please open the Message + application then click on the three lines in the top left corner. From that menu select Settings > Account > Restore Messages > Restore from Online. If you don't have an option to restore from online, please tell us what options you have when you click on Account. 

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I stated in my last response, when I couldn't tell what was meant, I tried both options. In Message+ settings, nothing has changed. My only option is still restore from SD card.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
saenc21000
Thank you for those details. We want to do all that we can to provide you with the best resolution for this issue and educate you on the Verizon Messaging+ application works. To make sure your messages are synced across your devices, we store the messages you keep on your devices for up to 90 days. Messages older than 90 days will remain on your phone, but won't be synced to the web. Additionally, when you delete a message from one device, we delete it from our servers and also from your other devices. This syncing process may not be instantaneous. You'll be able to send messages from both your phone and connected device, but not all messages will be synced. As a result, you may experience limitations with certain functions, like sent messages, read status and deletions. I hope that this explanation is helpful to you. 

You mentioned that you have over 16,000 text messages saved at Verizon Message+. This feature may be full to capacity. We recommend that you delete any unwanted messages online at Verizon Message+ and on your wireless device. This will allow you to access the most important messages that have been saved on our server in the last 90 days. 

For more information regarding Verizon Message+, click the link below: 

LasinaJ_VZW

0 Likes
saenc21000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the help so far. Based on this last response, I think we got our wires crossed somewhere, so I'd like to clarify a few things.

1) My original and biggest problem is that when I woke up on Sunday, April 21, all of the text messages were gone from my phone and I have not been able to restore anything. The only option I am given is to restore from SD card, restoring from the cloud is not even listed as an option.

2) I said that I had 16,000+ texts backed up onto the cloud (Verizon Cloud app), not saved to Message+. Is this the same thing? And either way, my biggest problem is not whether texts are still storing - I can figure that out later - but that I cannot access anything that is out there, new or old. It says I have 16,000+ texts backed up, but I cannot see them or restore them onto my phone.

3) Upon request on this thread, I checked whether texts were still available on Message+ online. Texts were, presummably 90 days worth, unless I had used that text chain since I woke up Sunday morning. If I had used that text chain, then only texts from Sunday morning onward showed up online. As some of the missing texts are from Saturday, that makes them only five days old - far too recent to simply no longer be stored. As more texts from more people have come in over the course of this week, more text chain histories have disappeared from online. Since I don't generally use texts online, this is mainly a concern in that it potentially means all of that information is permanently gone.

Again, thank you for the help so far. I hope someone can help me with this issue soon, before anything more is possibly lost. Since texting is one of my main methods of communicating, both personally and for work, having my entire text history suddenly gone is very upsetting. I've already had to call clients and ask them to resend information. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would be most grateful.