Re: Multiple duplicate messages being received...
AprilNBama

Is anyone still having this problem? I have the iphone4 and am apparently my phone sends the message to other people twice as well as randomly will send messages from days prior. It's really frustrating because my friends will reply back "what?"  when my phone apparently sends these random messages that come from a conversation that is no longer taking place.

I've done the *228 and had no luck.

0 Likes
IamTheD

I just got off the phone with Verizon (Call from a diff phone, 800-922-0204, option 3) and the rep was great. So far I'm fix but if anything changes I'll update this thread.

All she did was have me power down my phone and "Refresh the messaging features in the switch". I powered up, had a bunch of users text me and had no duplicates.

FYI - I'm using a Motorola Bionic. My issue was only occuring when the sender was an iPhone user. They could have been on AT&T or Verizon. I was also getting anywhere from 1 to 10 duplicates from the sender. I hope this helps. I'm going to post the same response in some other threads.

Oh and if you're on 4G, *228 is no longer used. I hope everyone understands that.

0 Likes
lisayurco

I have the LG Revolution with Verizon, my boss has a samsung with AT&T. We both have the same problem. I don't think its the phones anymore, I think that it is an issue with the service providers and the towers. It makes me angry that I could be charged for these extra texts. Something needs to be done.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, lisayurco!

I know receiving duplicate text messages can be an annoyance. Lets take a look at this! I want to reassure you that duplicate billing for messages is very rare, and does not happen unless the individual is chosing to 'resend' it repeatedly. Otherwise, it would be a communication concern between the two networks. If this is still an issue for you, please send me (AdamE_VZW) a direct message for further assistance.

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
PeaceNikki

I've been fighting this issue for MONTHS. I've reset back to factory, called repeatedly, formatted my SD card, etc ad nauseum. Some of the 'fixes' have offered very temporary relief but... it. just. keeps. happening. Sometimes it delivers the same text to me 6 or 7 times, sometimes the sender receives the texts I send 3-4 times. It's really getting old. My DROID 3 has been a laggy, buggy piece of crap and this issue is just making matters worse. I am due for an upgrade in a few weeks, but reading the reports on this, it seems the network, not the device seem to be the problem, no??

argh.

0 Likes
lisayurco

I was contacted via email about his issue. It was a rep from Verizon. I tried to respond but kept getting an error stating it was not a valid email address. I needed 6 pictures to be sent via text. Imagine my surprise at getting one of the pictures 5 times. I was told by the rep that there was rarely charges associated with the text coming in multiple times. However, I find it hard to believe that I won't be charged for those pictures. This is beyond frustrating. Certainly Verizon could find the problem and fix the problem rather than finding excuses or statements that are not reassuring at all. I am curious to see what my September bill will show.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello PeaceNikki,

I couldn't imagine the frustrations this issue has been causing you. I'm truly sorry this has been happening for so long. 

I did a lot of research for your Droid 3 and I found earlier this year Motorola had issued a software update to address duplicate messages. If you could go to Settings > About Phone & provide me your System Version I would like to check it.

Is anyone else in your area having similar issues with a different phone type? Have we tried replacing your device?

Keep me posted!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
halfreadbooks

MelissaM_VZW, I am having the same problem. I have a Samsung Stratosphere.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you Halfreadbooks!

I'm so sorry that you're also experiencing the issue regarding duplicate messages.  I checked our recorded reports for the Stratosphere and I have some recommendations!

The first one would be to clear out your Messaging Cache/Data.  You can do that by following these steps:
http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=48165

Do you have any third party applications for your Messages? If so I would recommend uninstalling them and trying the native messaging application that came with the phone.

If you notice it only from a specific contact try deleting the contact and re-entering it into your phone.

If these steps don't work I would recommend a Master Reset of your device. Please ensure your personal information is backed up and follow these steps: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=47757

Let me know how this works!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Debra2488

I have the Blackberry Torch 9850 and I receive multiple text messages sometimes on a daily basis.  The original sender is only sending them once, but I will get them like 6 or 7 times.  This is very frustrating. 

0 Likes