Mobile IM
chucknjojo

When I try to access Windows Live Messenger via the Mobile IM link in my phone, first I get an error that I have either the wrong Windows live ID or Password.  When I re-enter the same information, I get a timeout message that Windows live messenger is not responding.  Yes I have an account and have downloaded the app to my phone.  I can access Windows live messenger Mobile via a we address in my phones browser, just not through what I perceive should be the way.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile IM
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

chucknjojo wrote:

When I try to access Windows Live Messenger via the Mobile IM link in my phone, first I get an error that I have either the wrong Windows live ID or Password.  When I re-enter the same information, I get a timeout message that Windows live messenger is not responding.  Yes I have an account and have downloaded the app to my phone.  I can access Windows live messenger Mobile via a we address in my phones browser, just not through what I perceive should be the way.

I get the "time out" message to on my mobile IM. Try powering the phone off and then back on. If that does not work you can try dialing *228 + send from your verizon phone.Press option 2.

0 Likes
asstreg

I'm getting the same error on a LG Dare for both AIM and Windows Live

0 Likes
benjapathic

Yes.. I can't use Yahoo Mobile IM on my enV Touch either. I got dumped off of it yesterday afternoon, and I haven't been able to login since. I get a "general error".  I use a secondary yahoo account for mobile, and I noticed from my computer it shows me as logged into yahoo messenger. The only way to sign out of it is to over-ride it by signing in from my computer. But when I got back to my other ID, the phone tries to login automatically again with the same error. Weird! I've also gotten the cannot connect to server error.. and ID or password doesn't exist etc after toggling screen names back and forth just to get it to clear from showing it as logged in when it's not really. Of course I tried the restarting of the phone several times.. and the other *228 suggestion.. and nothing has changed. Personally I think the software is pretty flakey to begin with.. and is one of the disappointing features of the phone. I often don't get my friends messages updated to the screen without going back to the contact list ..and then back to the conversation screen again for it to refresh. Plus it doesn't really scroll back up to previous messages more than a few lines.. they are just gone.. so i miss half of what they said.  Not to mention that it is so quiet.. if i'm going about my business.. i would never notice if someone IM'ed me..even with the vibrate on etc. The alert settings don't really work together with the phone's alerts.. it seems to be yahoo's own alerts with barely any control that would make any significant difference.  I really love Verizon's service.. I wish they would put some pressure on Yahoo to improve the software. Although Yahoo seems to be only paying attention to the newer mobile browser version.  But in this case with not being able to login.. I'm guessing this might be a Verizon server problem.   ????

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

benjapathic wrote:

Yes.. I can't use Yahoo Mobile IM on my enV Touch either. I got dumped off of it yesterday afternoon, and I haven't been able to login since. I get a "general error".  I use a secondary yahoo account for mobile, and I noticed from my computer it shows me as logged into yahoo messenger. The only way to sign out of it is to over-ride it by signing in from my computer. But when I got back to my other ID, the phone tries to login automatically again with the same error. Weird! I've also gotten the cannot connect to server error.. and ID or password doesn't exist etc after toggling screen names back and forth just to get it to clear from showing it as logged in when it's not really. Of course I tried the restarting of the phone several times.. and the other *228 suggestion.. and nothing has changed. Personally I think the software is pretty flakey to begin with.. and is one of the disappointing features of the phone. I often don't get my friends messages updated to the screen without going back to the contact list ..and then back to the conversation screen again for it to refresh. Plus it doesn't really scroll back up to previous messages more than a few lines.. they are just gone.. so i miss half of what they said.  Not to mention that it is so quiet.. if i'm going about my business.. i would never notice if someone IM'ed me..even with the vibrate on etc. The alert settings don't really work together with the phone's alerts.. it seems to be yahoo's own alerts with barely any control that would make any significant difference.  I really love Verizon's service.. I wish they would put some pressure on Yahoo to improve the software. Although Yahoo seems to be only paying attention to the newer mobile browser version.  But in this case with not being able to login.. I'm guessing this might be a Verizon server problem.   ????

Mobile IM seems to be working perfectly fine on my phone today.

Do you have a data plan for your Env Touch, benjapathic?

0 Likes
benjapathic

Lucky you! lol!  No change here.. still not working.  No.. I didn't get the data plan.. cos I mainly just wanted unlimited text and mobile Instant messaging.  I'm at my computer 90% of the time.. so I don't have really much use for mobile web right now. Although it's tempting.. just to be able to use the browser IM's instead. For me.. the IM"s are just a way of bypassing international text messaging.  Thanks..  Happy New Year!

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

benjapathic wrote:

Lucky you! lol!  No change here.. still not working.  No.. I didn't get the data plan.. cos I mainly just wanted unlimited text and mobile Instant messaging.  I'm at my computer 90% of the time.. so I don't have really much use for mobile web right now. Although it's tempting.. just to be able to use the browser IM's instead. For me.. the IM"s are just a way of bypassing international text messaging.  Thanks..  Happy New Year!

The Env Touch does require a data plan. Most likely that is the reason why your mobile IM is not working.

You can however sign up for IM Forwarding. That will all go towards your text messaging. You can send IMs and receive. Each IM will be sent into your text inbox. Only down sider is that you cannot see your buddy list.

0 Likes
benjapathic

mmm well it was working for the last 6 months or so since i got the phone.. up until yesterday.. so i really doubt that's the case.  it has web access on a per MB usage.. so it's not completely cut off. that's only been needed a couple times for some updates.

0 Likes
benjapathic

I finally just got mine working just now.. for yahoo mobile IM..  at the login screen on the bottom left is an options button.. then preferences .. i clicked to "reset applicaton".. which cleared the history. .user name etc off the phone.. i just had to re-enter my login info.. and it worked right away. not sure if this works the same for AIM or MSN etc. but did the trick for yahoo. Please note you will lose the saved conversations if you have any that were stored on the phone etc.. and any settings you might have changed. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:  Happy New Year!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

TheGreatOne wrote:

The Env Touch does require a data plan. Most likely that is the reason why your mobile IM is not working.

You can however sign up for IM Forwarding. That will all go towards your text messaging. You can send IMs and receive. Each IM will be sent into your text inbox. Only down sider is that you cannot see your buddy list.

Mobile IM does NOT require the data plan to work - It does connect, yes, but you  are not charged data, only text messaging.  I have it on my Voyager, and use it, and I have the Select plan, NO DATA PLAN.  There are times it doesn't connect, or loses connection, and I just try later.

IM forwarding will work, but it's a workaround.  Mobile IM is faster, and does let you use your buddy lists (when it connects, that is!!)

0 Likes