Mobile IM - Data Plan ONLY?
Zeratul010

Just purchased a new env Touch, and was planning on paying per-use charges for texts, as I don't text much.  Mobile IM says it uses text messages - is there any way to use this app through my data plan instead?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile IM - Data Plan ONLY?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmmm, interesting question, and my guess would be NO.  But that's all it is, a guess.  I love Mobile IM BECAUSE it uses texts, not data, and allows me to stay connected with AIM and Yahoo friends WITHOUT using data!  I don't think it works the other way around....

0 Likes
SuperKamio

The Mobile IM application sends and receives messages as out-of-network SMS.  As far as I know there isn't an IM application available for that type of phone that doesn't use SMS.  Mobile Email does not use SMS but will add to megabyte usage and has a $5 / month subscription price unless you have a Premium or Connect plan or the newer add-on $9.99 data plan. But that sends an email not an IM so its not exactly the same thing.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

Hmmm, interesting question, and my guess would be NO.  But that's all it is, a guess.  I love Mobile IM BECAUSE it uses texts, not data, and allows me to stay connected with AIM and Yahoo friends WITHOUT using data!  I don't think it works the other way around....

That is also another best feature that I love about Verizon. All mobile iM goes towards text messaging. All other providers I have been with charge data & text useage.

0 Likes