Messaging App/Public Profile
Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the recent update to the Message+ app I am now required to create a "public profile" in order to access the app?Screenshot_20170201-113801.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messaging App/Public Profile
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffSF,

We certainly want to make sure that every customer can utilize every feature on their device. You are correct, that a good alternative to the Verizon Message+ application would be to use the standard messaging application that comes on to every device. We are working diligently to work out all the bugs with our Message+ application. Please let us know if you ever need anything. We are happy to help in any way we can.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I need to pose this as a question ... why do I need a profile to send text messages from my phone?!

RACHLIND
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree. I can't move past this screen unless I create the profile.

Why is this required?

puckschmuck95

[removed]

I just entered a random "name".

Soooo annoying though.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Back out of the app and then open it again, that Welcome screen should then be gone.  If you then go to Settings (the three bars in the upper left-hand corner) and then tap the pencil in the upper right-hand corner, the photo and name are optional.

0 Likes
CHRZIN11

Similar to Tikibar1's post above, I backed out/closed the app, waited for the remainder of the updates that I was receiving to "push" as there were 11 total, then reopened Message+.

The app will open as it used to, with all of your existing text messages, and I have not been prompted to enter a public name again.

The only thing I am seeing differently is upon launching Message+ the red bar at the top of the screen (screenshot above has same red ribbon @ the top) appears FIRST, then my color scheme appears (black ribbon) and my existing list of texts/contacts. Almost looks like that login screen shown above is opening in the background.

I havent noticed anything else out of the ordinary, except the behavior i detailed above.

IT definitely keeps happening because i rebooted my device, yet that red ribbon continues to pop just before my screen does.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

That we have to do this is BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE.  That some kid, it has to be a 12 year old writing this app, thinks it is appropriate to force people to create some public profile on a service that has NO business being public just shows how much Verizon deserves Yahoo and their total lack of understanding of how to protect people's personal information.  Honestly, this should go to the FTC for violating our privacy rights.

BTW, how does anyone know that removing the name removes the profile we were forced to create?  I'm betting there's some junk still on Verizon's end that keeps all our info.  What assurances do we have that if we remove our name the public profile goes away?

Finally, what about children under 13?  COPPA says Verizon cannot collect their names or any other personal information and I know a TON of kids under 13 with Verizon cell phones who are creating these public profiles that are likely illegal.  Time to send this to DoJ too.

AMROFNIVEK
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is all fine and dandy but what about the extremely annoying day and time stamp that comes with each message, not to mention the unread message banner, is there anyway to turn this off??

This was an awful "upgrade"

Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not just awful. It introduced things not given in the description and I'm noticing more bugs now than before the "bug fixes" it was supposed to correct.

jayver
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is horrible, I cannot get past the profile screen, tried backing out of the app, then reentering it keeps showing up and i cannot view my messages until i create a profile which I do not want to.  Verizon is invading I privacy, not giving us choices.  I sure regret renewing my contract.

This is getting close to the straw that broke the camels back.  Verizon has made many changes that are providing not useful and or unwanted.  What has happened to Verizon?  They use to be sharp, and insightful. 

0 Likes