Messages+ behavior change
Gilgaron

Messages+ stopped giving notifications and downloading messages unless the application was manually opened Thursday.  My wife noticed the same issue on her phone (each of us are using Surface Duo).  I reinstalled the application on my phone and had some mild difficulty where the application acted like I was trying to install on a secondary tablet and wanted me to scan a QR code rather than recognizing it was on my primary Verizon device.  I was able to scan the QR code by making Google Messages default app, sending the code, and using Microsoft Your Phone to display the QR Code so I could scan it off of my monitor and finish setting up the app. 

Since reinstallation the application has been acting goofier than before:  I receive notifications, but the historical SMS database import was garbled and only partially correct.  From comparing to MS Your Phone, new messages are not being written to the phone's SMS database because they do not show up in the Your Phone messages area.  If I switch back to Google Messages everything is working as expected, although now I'm receiving notifications from both Google Messages and Verizon Messages+ when I receive a new SMS.  Messages received in Messages+ since reinstallation are not visible in Google Messages.

[History note:  we started using the Verizon Messages+ app rather than the presintalled Google Messages because the latter was not always receiving Group MMS correctly and after exhausting tips and tricks with Verizon support I decided to try Messages+ after reading online that some phone users had better experience with it, and it did alleviate the Group MMS failing to download behavior, as well as receiving pictures and movies at better resolution from iPhone users, so we'd been using it up until the notification/reinstall issue cropped up] 

In brief, there are two issues for the software team:  Messages+ stopped downloading messages and notifying for them in the background, and the reinstall process is very different than the initial install process and seems unable to successfully reach the previous state, which may be related to how it is (failing to) recognizing my device.

One issue for the SMS infrastructure team:  Group MMS was spotty with Google Messages but behaved better with Messages+ for unclear reasons.  Pictures from iPhone users were worse quality and videos were a thumbnail and an audio track whereas Messages+ had better quality pictures and videos were videos.

0 Likes
Re: Messages+ behavior change
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Gilgaron. Thank you so much for this information as it does help and my apologies to hear that you have been experiencing issues with Messages +. The steps you have completed are great. Just to clarify, has there been any software updates to either your device or the app? What is the make/model of your device? 

0 Likes
Gilgaron

There was an update earlier in February but not coincident with the behavior changes.  It doesn't appear that Messages+ has had a recent update, either.  We're using the Microsoft Surface Duo.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information. Since you have reinstalled the app on the phones, have you also reinstalled the Message+ on the Surface Duo device?

0 Likes
Gilgaron

The Surface Duo devices are what we are using as phones

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The information you provided is appreciated. Please share with me what happens when you send a message since reinstalling? Also, confirm for me do you receive notifications for other alerts like email?

0 Likes