Message+ — symbol on conversation
JerrySNB
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've just recently noticed that, when I'm looking at the conversation list, one of the conversations might be marked with a symbol that looks like this:

G

Does anyone know what that means?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Message+ — symbol on conversation
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you click on it, it brings up Glympse, an app that lets people "follow" you on a map. It gave out way too much information so I did not agree to it.  It showed up on a post where my daughter and I were discussing where I was and when I would get to her place ... kinda spooky if  you ask me!

JerrySNB
Enthusiast - Level 3

That makes sense, but

• I can't find any setting for Glympse, although there are settings for sharing location. I have run across the term Glympse, so I assume it's somewhere.
  • The icon is showing up on a conversation with my wife, who doesn't have a smart phone. I suppose that might not matter.
0 Likes
gggggg
Contributor - Level 2

Go to one of your text conversations and tap the + sign. That will now bring up Postcard, Picture, Audio, Glympse, etc.  Tap on Glympse and choose DECLINE.  It won't show up again.

0 Likes
gggggg
Contributor - Level 2

That should say tap the X not the +

0 Likes
JerrySNB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.

Will that apply to all new conversations, or do I have to turn it off for each one? I wasn't aware of those icons at all.

0 Likes
gggggg
Contributor - Level 2

No, that should cover all of them Smiley Happy  Also, I would go to your phone settings and find "location" make sure that is OFF.  There are other apps that like to track you, but as long as location is off it won't allow them to. 

0 Likes
JerrySNB
Enthusiast - Level 3

I routinely turn off location tracking, not just for privacy's sake but also because it can eat battery time. The only time I use it is when I'm using Google Maps real-time navigation, and the only time I use that is when I'm testing to see if it works. (So far as I can tell, it's worthless.)

0 Likes
RDster
Enthusiast - Level 1

Declining is nice, but how do I uninstall it all together?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Declining it means it does not install on your device.  Check your app drawer, and check under ALL apps in your App manager; uninstall it if it is there.  If it is not there, and you have "declined" from within your texting app, it's not installed on your device.

0 Likes