Re: Message+ app using all of my data!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BRISUL64

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this issue as well. All I do is text, so if that affected my data, I would be concerned as well. We will gladly look into this for you. We definitely do not want to sound like a broken record, but there has been multiple questions and recommendation given in this thread. Can you please review the post sent by SylviaT, try those steps and keep us posted as to the outcome.

EdwardL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’m sorry to learn about the data issues you are experiencing, AMACON55. Your satisfaction and accurate date reporting are paramount to us. Let’s find out what’s going on. Please login to at this link (https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login?realm=vzw&goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyaccount.verizonwi...), with your Verizon Wireless credentials for breakdown of how your data is being utilized. Did you notice if this data issue start after installing or updating any particular application or software?

AntonioC_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is getting beyond ridiculous. The original post was created over a month ago and only 4 of the 16 different customer support reps have even acknowledged that there is an issue. The data utilization feature doesn't show WHICH apps are using data, just a timeline of when data is used (or at least that's all that's shown on mine). However, if you want proof that it is the Verizon Message+ app, then I've attached screenshots of the data it used.

November 11, 2017 to December 10, 2017 : 0.03GB

December 11, 2017 to January 10, 2018: 0.11 GB

January 11, 2018 to February 10, 2018: 4.21GB! 

February 11, 2018 to March 10, 2018: 0.01GB <-Verizon Message+ DisabledData Usage.jpg

I'm not personally looking for a refund since I was able to deactivate the app before I went over my usage limit, but telling people who are experiencing this issue to double check their data usage or update their billing cycle is not helpful and it won't stop the app from using data. If you are experiencing this issue, then you can try doing a force stop and clearing the app data/cache. It's also possible that a factory reset might correct it. The safest option in my opinion is to switch to the default message app that came with your phone and disabling the Verizon Message+ app until they figure out what's actually causing the issue.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should consider sending those screenshots to the application developer email address listed in the Play store. At very least, you are providing proof that something changed in the application during that period.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

BRISUL64
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I was having the same problem as I mentioned earlier on this thread.  I switched messaging apps and immediately my data usage flat lined.  I have now been off of message + since last Friday and my mobile data usage is minimal since then.  Verizon is not accepting they have a problem here.  This is a serious issue and you owe me for data consumed the last few months.  My plan is up next month so I will start thinking about other providers.  They need to own up to this one.  Problem solved, use a different messaging app. 

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did some troubleshooting today to see if clearing your app data/cache will solve the problem and it appears that is does.

If you go to Settings->Apps->Application Manager and scroll down to Message+ then you can "reset" the app to factory settings. This will reset all your customization and application settings back to default, but your messages will be fine once you log back in.

Look through your settings and take note of the options you've selected so you can revert them after you reset the app.

To reset the app:

1) Click the "Force Stop" button

2) Click on "Storage"

3) Click on "Clear Data"

4) Click on "Clear Cache"

5) Open Message+ App and go through sign in procedure

6) Go through ALL your settings and turn off the features you don't want (some of these share location data that you may or may not want to share)

Before doing all this, I used a 3rd party Data Usage tracker to "watch" how much data Message+ was using. Before clearing the data and cache, Message+ was using approximately 5MB PER Text Message. After clearing the data and cache, it was only using approximately 15KB per text message. Most of this data appears to be "sent" data. I'm not sure why it's using data at all for just regular text messages but perhaps it has something to do with backing up your texts.

I highly recommend you keep a close eye on your data even if you apply this fix since it's possible the bug may return. You can set limits on your data usage as well that will warn you and turn off your mobile data if you (or Message+) exceeds this limit.

CALENG20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to my local Sprint store and they had me do essentially the same thing. They said it may just be a Band-Aid but should help considerably until my contract is up and to come in anytime I need to troubleshoot.

They had a tremendous laugh reading these replies and even acknowledged, "Looks like everyone is getting a shitty response except you. You received no response!" I let them know that I too noticed that.

I will be switching providers and never looking back when my contract is up - if not sooner - due to nothing more than the "help" in this thread and over the phone. I miss the days of the one line per house rotary phone and am excited to remove myself from the thread . . . what a waste of time it has been.

RELL8891
Enthusiast - Level 3

I couldn't agree more! When I first started this thread I didn't expect so many people to respond. Unfortunately it does seem like a lot of the customer service reps are neglecting to read ALL of the posts in this thread before replying and asking questions. Thanks for your post about resetting the app data/cache. I'm still too skeptical to try it myself but it might benefit others. My intentions of the original post were to get some answers and try to understand if I was doing something to cause my data usage to increase dramatically. I can't say that I've gotten a straight forward answer, but thanks to everyone's posts I've learned I'm not the only one and that there really is a problem with the app. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd never want to see you go, BRISUL64. We're glad to hear your usage has been better since removing the Message+ app. The Message+ app will use data for messages. We can definitely take a closer look into your account and usage. I have sent a Private Message for you. Please respond to the message so we can further assist. 

DanielleR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CALENG20

We hope that you reconsider your decision to leave and allow us to continue as your wireless provider. For Verizon customers, sending and receiving of SMS, MMS, Chat (text, images, audio, video under 5 MB, read receipts, delivery receipts, and typing indicator) will not count against your data allowance. However, use of features including the following will count against your data allowance (unless you are using Wi-Fi): Sending and receiving videos over 5 MB; Glympse messages; Yahoo search; Places by Yelp; Gifting; Image preview; voice calls on linked secondary devices using Integrated Calling (such as your watch or tablet); Kanvas images/editing, administrative features including (auto-reply, muted/unmuted conversations, Scheduled Messages, updating group details, and public profile updates). Verizon customers roaming on another network when accessing the Service will be billed according to your messaging and data plans with Verizon. I hope that this explanation addresses your concerns. 

Click the link below for more information regarding Verizon messages: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/#general 

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes