Re: Message+ app using all of my data!
matt_vanv
Enthusiast - Level 2

The rep I talked to had me force stop the app. Then go into the app manager and delete the stored data.  Resetting the app or something.  My data usage seems to have help constant since.

I wonder if there's a bug where a video or something continues running using data until the app is reset.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cat.covert, 

We want our applications to work properly at all times. Sorry to hear that this is not happening and I can certainly understand your frustration with increased data usage while using the Messaging+ application. I am glad to hear that after completing a Factory reset on your device that the issue has been resolved and that our phone support team was able to adjust the overage. Please keep us posted if you need additional assitance. 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important you're being billed correctly for your data usage to avoid overages, JennieS81. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. The app will use data while sending multimedia messages. This would be pictures, videos and group messages. Just to confirm, have you reviewed your data utilization to see where your data is pulling from, http://spr.ly/6587DrXsc? What does the message app show for data usage? Are the dates set to match your current bill cycle date? 

DanielleR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BRISUL64
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I just called Verizon Wireless and the guy (Charles) insisted that the message+ app does not use data.  I have been experiencing it just in the last couple months too.  Verizon, you have an issue here.  Just 15 days into the current billing cycle MESSAGE+ has consumed nearly 2 GB of data.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ElginBat, we want you to be able use the service without any worries. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. Please set the correct data usage cycle to match your bill cycle date. Once this is completed, I would like for you to review the usage on the phone and send us the results. Here how to set the data usage cycle https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-210744/.

ZangY_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ElginBat, we want to make sure you are able to utilize the messaging app that you want to use. Please allow us the opportunity to further investigate the details. Can you please let us know if you have noticed a decrease in your data usage after switching over to the preloaded messaging app that came with your device? Also, matt_vanv has shared some great steps to take to help reset the VZW messages + application. Can you please proceed with force stopping the application http://vz.to/2FhuxpG. Once this step is completed please proceed to clear the app cache and data http://vz.to/2xtThGU. Please keep us updated on the progress.

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes
CALENG20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't believe how many Verizon reps have replied with, frankly, stupid suggestions to fix this. Changing the dates is a Band-Aid for the remaining billing cycle. This app is eating so much data that you can be at a gig in a day!

It's like Verizon has outsourced this thread to a 3rd grade intro to IT class. Maybe this weekend I will try powering my phone on and off every 10 minutes. I also may take it to a different carrier and watch them destroy it.

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

There have been 13 different Verizon Reps to respond this this issue so far. Slyvia T. is the first to actively attempt to troubleshoot the issue by asking if data usage has decreased since switching to a default messaging app, and to suggest trying to fix the issue by force stopping the app, and clearing the app cache and data. Most of the other responses have been to essentially blame the user for either using the app too much, or misreading the data usage because it's not aligned with their billing cycle.

Switching to the default messaging app AND disabling the Verizon Message+ app will completely stop Verizon Message+ from using data. I've been doing this for about a month and my data usage has returned to normal. I don't know if just switching your default app WITHOUT disabling Verizon Message+ will stop it from using data but I will re-activate it to test this.

Other possible solutions to the issue include:

Force stopping the app then clearing the cache and data.

OR

Factory resetting the phone.

Please note that neither of these suggestions have been proven to fix the issue in the long run, so if you implement them you should routinely check your data usage to make sure the Verizon Message app isn't using your data again.

AMACON55
Enthusiast - Level 1

My galaxy s4 just started doing this to me as well. Sooooo frustrating as I haven't changed any setting. We have a 6 or 8gb plan and we burned through that and all our overage data from last month as well.  We've NEVER used this much data.

What is going on?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This does not sound right at all Brisula64. The Verizon Messages plus app does not use your data. I can double check your account to ensure that everything is correct. I have sent you a private message so I can assist you further. 

AmberF_VZW

0 Likes